The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Szusa071

A necessity?

Just wondering if you guys would consider it a necessity to actually shoot a gun before making a purchase. I know it would be a preference for everyone but if a deal is to be had sometimes I just don't see how it is always possible.

Just wanted to get you peoples take on it.
Old January 15, 2011, 01:55 PM   #2
9mm

You can not always shoot a gun before you buy it. I would look for reviews on firearm forums such as these. Almost bought a revolver, after shooting it. Was a peice of crap. taurus model 85.... was not hitting where I was shooting @ 7 yards. I have seen some taurus explode and break. Not saying that other gun's do not, but I hear of it more with taurus. Sorry but I hate taurus..

Look at taurus, and charterarms... under $350 for revolvers, the cheapest on the market. You get what you PAY FOR.

it's ok if you are going to beat it up at the range, but IMHO never a SD/CCW weapon.

Can not go wrong with a glock unless you do not like the feel of it.
Old January 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #3
egor20

A necessity no, a preference yes, I've never had the opportunity to fire a P-08 Luger, but if I had some money burning my pocket and saw one at a gunshow, I'd grab it. It's a very High preference though, if you are considering it for a HD/SD weapon though. As 9mm said if you can't pre-shoot it, then read about others experience on this and other gun forums.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 15, 2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Cheapshooter

Do you mean a specific individual firearm like a test drive of a used car, or just a generic test to see if you like the way a certain type of gun handles?
If it is a used gun, and the seller allows it, shooting the gun to check it's shootability wouldn't be a bad idea.
If it is a new gun, and you just don't know how it handles for you, then renting one of the same model at a range would also be a good idea.
For my own personal choice, I just buy what I like, and adapt to it's ergonomics when I shoot it.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 15, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5
Sevens

In my life, I've only ever had one opportunity to do exactly that. (I bought it)

Sure, it would be great... goodness no, not a necessity whatsoever.

(as a side note, I've always been the kind of shooter that finds it easy to adapt to different firearms, rather than one who needs to make a firearm "fit me." No disrespect to others, just how it seems to be)