The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2001, 10:28 AM   #1
JNewhouse

Another thread got me thinking. I haven't shot my chronograph yet. I have been wondering under what conditions that such a thing might happen. What's your interesting/painful story?
Old April 25, 2001, 10:41 AM   #2
dick w. holliday

38 super through the screens got one and 410 shotgun wad throught the screen got another...Dick
Old April 25, 2001, 11:45 AM   #3
Paul B.

.44 mag. thrugh an Oelher Mod.11 and a .44 Spl hit one of the guide bars on a Shooting Chrony. The oehler died, but the Chrony lived after some major surgery by the manufacturor.
Paul B.
Old April 25, 2001, 12:13 PM   #4
Hard Case

Got my brand new Oehler 35 about 2 months ago. Took it out for the first time about a month ago. Set it all up and decided to chrony some .357 loads. First round came in at 1282 fps, the second round completely destroyed all three skyscreens. The bullet tore through the diffusers, and wires were hanging out everywhere. Total loss after 2 shots. Got the replacement skyscreens 4 days later. I used it again last weekend without incident.
Old April 25, 2001, 12:17 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

.223 Barnes X bullet through the readout panel of a Chrony. Reason was a high carry handle mounted scope on an AR-15 (LOS was NOT the "line of bullet at muzzle") Never saw the chronograph in my sight picture.
The second was done in by a flinch with a 230gr LRN. At 10 ft away, a small reflexive snap down of the wrist is enough to deviate the bullet path from the 3"x8" target it has to go through to reach it's target, record velocity and not destroy the chronograph. "Flyers" kill chronographs!
Old April 25, 2001, 05:25 PM   #6
Cheapo

Anyone thought about mounting the chrono upside down and shooting UNDER it? Seems like all the problems come from low shots or flinches (I've had friends and family do both).

I've mounted it sideways a few times when testing just before sunset. Once was to use the headlights for the skyscreens in a _very_ safe backstop area when there just wasn't enough daylight in the winter to do it at a more sensible time.
Old April 25, 2001, 07:47 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

One of my former coworkers accidently put a hole through the Oheler forensic-style chronograph we had at American Rifleman...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 25, 2001, 09:44 PM   #8
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

.30 cal sabots (w/.223 bullets) don't go through the screen "windows" necessarily - even up close. Appears that they separate rather quickly & don't go straight.

Even li'l pieces of plastic, going really fast hurt screens .... something to watch out for.
Old April 25, 2001, 11:08 PM   #9
Zak Smith

I'll fess up.

I managed to hit one of the screen posts on my dad's chrono with a .40. The unit was intact, but apparently jolted enough to not work anymore. It's was a ShootingChrony. I now own the Master-Beta model, and haven't shot it yet.. .. though the muzzle blast from the 8x57 sometimes blows the screens off.
Old April 26, 2001, 04:47 AM   #10
George Helser

The Chrony manual specified shooting about 4-6" above the unit at a distance far enough to avoid muzzle blast. The problem was the handgun blocked the view of the Chrony so it was hard to judge how high I was shooting above it. After an hour of shooting I was tired and put one through the Chrony.

Now, I tape a target to the back end of the Chrony with the bullseye about 6" above the box. This gives me a target to aim at, with a greater margin for error. So far, so good!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old April 26, 2001, 05:24 AM   #11
Blue Heeler

There is a really easy way to shag a chrono--shoot thru it with a scope on(which hasn't been sighted in)--I've done it,and it cost $100 to fix.
Old April 26, 2001, 07:07 AM   #12
Mikke

Nicked my Chrony last summer while shooting my Scout in 308. Only cracked the plastics on the top a little.

Then a month ago I was testing some 110 gr .357 loads, and due to location I had to put the chrony about 10 yards out on the range. A 110gr .357 puts a nice hole througha chrony even if it's relative slow (for a .357).
Old April 26, 2001, 11:21 AM   #13
WalterGAII

If you guys will replace the skyscreen rods with wooden dowels, then you won't be tearing up your chrony's when you hit the rods.

I've shot two chrony's. Killed the front of the first; the rear of the second. Took them apart; reassembled the working parts, and now I have a working "Jesus" Chrony. (It miraculously rose from death.)
Old April 26, 2001, 10:54 PM   #14
Alex Johnson

Trying to test an American derringer in 44 magnum might possibly give you some problems.
Old April 27, 2001, 10:00 AM   #15
Scooter2

If it's a nice day, I never use my skyscreens. They have caused me more problems than they're worth. Besides hitting them, one time the angle of the sun was just right and the blast moved the shadow of the first skyscreen over the second sensor, it kept registering 1040fps even with a round that was suppose to go 740 fps.
Old April 27, 2001, 01:32 PM   #16
Shawn Dodson

Attempting to chronograph Balle Fleche Sauvestre 'Sledgehammer' saboted 12 gauge shotgun slugs with my 870. The sabot shoes struck the optical sensor housings on 2 of the 3 skyscreens of my Oehler 35P. The chronograph displayed an velocity error indication immediately afterward. I had to replace the 2 housings (no electronics were damaged) and she was up and working just fine.
Old April 27, 2001, 02:01 PM   #17
ZeusOne

Don't forget to check your local state laws regarding seasons, bag limits and permits for chrony.
Old April 28, 2001, 02:01 PM   #18
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Good point ZeusOne! Cooking them is hell too! I stewed one for 3 days one time and it was still tough and crunchy!!! Kept adding seasoning and cooking it longer but that did not help!
Old April 29, 2001, 12:00 AM   #19
Archie

I like Chronys.....

Whilst sighting in my then brand new 35 Whelen, I managed to hit one of the diffuser support rods with a 250 grain round nose Hornady (at about 2500 f/s). The top half of the rod was hanging from the impact hole of the target at 25 yards.

"Betcha can't do that agin, fella."

Then, while fireforming some brass (after checking some other rounds) I got sloppy and put a 115 grain cast lead 30 caliber bullet just .5 inches below the top of the front panel.

Chrony gave me a fair tradein on a new Chrony Master Beta.

I've been lots more careful since then.
Old April 29, 2001, 10:19 AM   #20
WESHOOT2

Since I use a PACT ONE I can't shoot the expensive part.
Old May 1, 2001, 03:44 PM   #21
tator

Pulled a new never tested 38+P load in my wifes snubby and went diagnally through top and rear scanner assembly of my Competition Electronics Jr.
Old May 10, 2001, 02:28 PM   #22
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

8 or 10 years ago I was shooting some 300 gr Hornady XTPs testing some deer hunting loads in a S&W 29. Just as I was pulling the trigger a bee stung me on the elbow. When I quit cussing the bee I noticed my 2 week old Chrony was in about 15 pieces. Those .44s can flat do a job on one. George
Old May 12, 2001, 09:34 AM   #23
handgunhunting

I am glade to see am not the only one to shoot a one.
I was at the range shooting cast 300-gr. Cast bullets from my 375 jdj when another hooter offered me the use of his Crony. I asked him to shoot my gun trough it but he was scared of the recoil. So I tried to. To our surprise both sky screens jumped about 4 feet in the air and the crony fell over. We picked it up and saw a nice .375 hole trough the face plate, trough the 9v. Battery trough all the inners and out the back and on to the target. 100.00 to fix it
Old May 12, 2001, 11:27 AM   #24
John Lawson

How to protect a chronograph screen

I have always used Oehler equipment since my first Model 10. The present 35 has had the screens modified to wider hoods, etc.
What I do is tape a piece of blank paper to the outside of the far hood bracket. I scribe a small dot in the appropriate position. Now, remember, there is considerable parallax between a scope or iron sights and the centerline of the bore. Take this into consideration.
But, the most important thing to remember is that you bought the machine and you are under no obligation to loan it out free to friends or casuals on your range. YOU do the shooting and let these el-cheapos buy their own equipment.
My best friend shot away the screens on my Model 10 many years ago and I'm still waiting for him to reimburse me for the damage he caused. It isn't a joke; a set of screens for the Oehler 35 cost $111, and some yahoo can blow them away with one shot.
My guns, my wife, my truck and my chronograph are mine exclusively (I'm never sure about my dog.)
Old May 12, 2001, 10:28 PM   #25
bdhawk

i hit mine with an arrow. it knocked the chrony off the table and onto the ground. chrony fixed it for $10.00 including their shipping.