The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 29, 2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Slugo

I would dump 'em all for this one...

everyone of us has that special gun that will always have a place in our cranium, the K-20 sporter is mine!

how about the rest of you jokers...
Old July 29, 2012, 06:40 AM   #2
PJR

Mine was a 32" Perazzi MX8-28 gauge.
Old July 29, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
BigJimP

Krieghoff K-80 ....with a Trap comb ...and 30" barrels would be my personal choice ..and a carrier barrel ...and a full set of full length tubes in 20ga, 28ga and .410 ....

I wouldn't get ridiculous ...but I'd want some upgraded engraving on the receiver...and an upgrade on the wood for the stock and the forend.

but nothing wrong with the K-20 either...
Old July 29, 2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Drummer101

I am actually not really a fan of it with the hole in the receiver and the little tab in front of the trigger...
Old July 29, 2012, 12:21 PM   #5
.300 Weatherby Mag

Slugo,

I've shot one... Very nice gun!!!
Old July 29, 2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Method

Something I've noticed...on the skeet field most top shooters are using a Kreighoff, Kolar, Blaser F3, or Remington 1100. When I check out the Olympic trap and skeet shooters, they seem to favor Beretta and Perazzi. Is there a reason that the amateur crowd favors the former and international competitors the latter?
Old July 30, 2012, 07:58 AM   #7
PJR

Quote:
Something I've noticed...on the skeet field most top shooters are using a Kreighoff, Kolar, Blaser F3, or Remington 1100. When I check out the Olympic trap and skeet shooters, they seem to favor Beretta and Perazzi. Is there a reason that the amateur crowd favors the former and international competitors the latter?
It is probably because American skeet has subgauge classes. The three o/us you mentioned all have mechanical triggers which are better when using subgauge tubes. Inertia triggers depend on the recoil from the first shot to reset for the second barrel and will often not work reliably with the smaller gauges. The Remington 1100 meanwhile is the only semi-automatic produced in all 4 gauges. Competitors can use identical guns in all gauges.

Beretta and Perazzi guns are inertia trigger guns but because international skeet is a 12 gauge only event there is no need to have triggers that can accommodate lighter loads.
Old July 30, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Slugo

good conversation guys. I'm thinking that I still enjoy shooting subgauge guns more so than the standard 12, even though I sprung for a new 725. The 20 anything is my all time favorite gauge. That's why I spent the last six months hunting down an LT-20. Also because the LT-20 was built on Remington's 28 gauge frame.

This is why the K-20 is my holy grail, but one I will only dream about...
Old July 30, 2012, 09:13 PM   #9
Method

PJR,

You are the man. Thanks for that info. Now I just have to decide if I want to go with a K-80 in the future or a K-20. I've read (and heard from fellow shooters recently) that scores between a 12ga and 20ga are nearly identical, and that most accomplished shooters simply shoot 20 for both doubles and 12ga. If that's the case...perhaps Slugo's K-20 is a better overall value.

PS: When I say the future...I mean years of saving up. Man the top-o-the-line equipment can be expensive.
Old August 1, 2012, 08:40 AM   #10
PJR

Quote:
Now I just have to decide if I want to go with a K-80 in the future or a K-20.
I'd suggest the K80 for serious skeet shooting. There are more of them, they are often found on the used market and getting subgauge tubes will be easier for a 12 gauge. Top shooters do shoot the 20 as well as the 12 but for the rest of us having those extra pellets is very reassuring.
Old August 1, 2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Slugo

PJR, I don't shoot skeet. To me it's the most boring shotgun sport. I'm sporting clays all the way with a little trap thrown in for good measure. Skeet is way to repetitious to keep me interested. But, I can shoot skeet with a 20 just as effectively as with any 12...
Old August 1, 2012, 09:31 PM   #12
Bushmaster1313

I actually got my "grail gun" and because the finish on the stock was worn it was not expensive.

1934 Remington 31R (in foreground)

Old August 2, 2012, 05:00 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Quote:
PJR, I don't shoot skeet. To me it's the most boring shotgun sport. I'm sporting clays all the way with a little trap thrown in for good measure. Skeet is way to repetitious to keep me interested. But, I can shoot skeet with a 20 just as effectively as with any 12...
I hear what you are saying. The thing about skeet is it is more social, but social can get out of hand if you have a squad of guys that goof off just too much.

So why don't you get the K gun?
Old August 3, 2012, 07:06 AM   #14
PJR

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. The thing about skeet is it is more social, but social can get out of hand if you have a squad of guys that goof off just too much.
I've found sporting clays more social than skeet which is another reason I prefer it. I agree with Slugo on the merits of skeet. I used to shoot it often but now use it as sporting clays practice if I'm having a gun mount or other issue.

Skeet targets can be hit as well with a 20 gauge or even a 28 but should the aspiring skeet shooter discover that sporting clays is more fun then he'll definitely want a 12 gauge.
Old August 3, 2012, 08:52 AM   #15
oneounceload

It is the complete variety of sporting that draws me to it - no two courses are the same, and even the same course changes things around regularly, keeping you guessing and trying to figure out the targets
Old August 3, 2012, 09:49 AM   #16
zippy13

Quote:
The three o/us you mentioned all have mechanical triggers which are better when using subgauge tubes.
I'm not sure what you mean by better. I prefer the more precise pull of inertia triggers over mechanicals. Think of it this way: some energy is required to set-up the second sear. With mechanicals, the energy is captured during the first trigger pull. With inertia triggers, the recoil provides that energy after the trigger is pulled. If you could drop out a Browning or K-80 trigger and compare it to a Perazzi trigger unit, you'd see how many more parts are required to make a mechanical trigger work. I shot mechanical trigger O/Us for 18-years before I went to inertia guns and I'll never go back.

Yes, there is an issue of sub-gauge shells not setting the second trigger of a 12-ga inertia gun. This problem is easily solved by changing the inertia block when you get tubes. I've never had a problem setting the second trigger shooting sub-gauge loads in any of my tubed Perazzis.
Old August 3, 2012, 10:48 AM   #17
PJR

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by better. I prefer the more precise pull of inertia triggers over mechanicals. Think of it this way: some energy is required to set-up the second sear. With mechanicals, the energy is captured during the first trigger pull. With inertia triggers, the recoil provides that energy after the trigger is pulled. If you could drop out a Browning or K-80 trigger and compare it to a Perazzi trigger unit, you'd see how many more parts are required to make a mechanical trigger work. I shot mechanical trigger O/Us for 18-years before I went to inertia guns and I'll never go back.

Yes, there is an issue of sub-gauge shells not setting the second trigger of a 12-ga inertia gun. This problem is easily solved by changing the inertia block when you get tubes. I've never had a problem setting the second trigger shooting sub-gauge loads in any of my tubed Perazzis.
I've owned and shot both mechanical and inertia triggers including Krieghoff and Perazzi. There is no question the mechanical is more complicated particularly on the K-guns and the P-gun trigger is very simple and reliable. Between the two I believe the Krieghoff has a slightly better trigger pull and is the one thing I missed when I went to the Perazzi.

The mechanicals are IMO better for subgauges because they can be used as they come from the factory. It is possible to swap the inertia block on a Perazzi but that might not be a task that every shooter is up to and would need a gunsmith to do the job.
Old August 3, 2012, 12:40 PM   #18
zippy13

Quote:
It is possible to swap the inertia block on a Perazzi but that might not be a task that every shooter is up to and would need a gunsmith to do the job.
Briley did mine when they fitted the tubes. Plus, Perazzi prices trigger parts like they were made of gold.
Old August 4, 2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Method

Recently I've been looking at a skeet combo (includes sub-gauge barrels) from Caesar Guerini. They specifically adjust their inertia trigger to be compatible with the smaller gauges, and the company seems to have a good reputation. Plus...it allows me to get a world-class skeet gun at a price much lower than a Kolar or Krieghoff. The Blaser F-3 is another option. I've seen full skeet sets for less than $10k.