The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 3, 2002, 10:19 PM   #1
savagehunter308

Javelina Call?

i have a junior hunt this weekend in unit 20b in Arizona. I want to get a J-13 javelina call but then id have to pay over night air shipping and if the varmint calls work just the same then i can pick one up at AZ Sportsmans. does anyone have expierience with these things?
Old February 3, 2002, 10:45 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Like I commented in that other thread, I've had them come to a wounded-rabbit call. Not often, though.

They'll be near some water point around sunup and around sundown. Roughly. Any little seep spring or puddle.

Mid-day, they're often in the brush along or in an arroyo--but if you jump them there, it's a running shot. If you get downwind and far enough out that they can't hear you, you can run with them for a hundred yards or so; they'll commonly drop back to a trot or walk, then...

If you know where they are, you can generally ease up to within 20 yards or so...Even closer if the wind is really in your face and you're good at sneaky-snakin'.

, Art
Old February 4, 2002, 02:05 AM   #3
H&H,hunter

OK I'll try and explain the old mouth grunt to you. This only works if you've spotted a group of Javalina and they are in ear shot AND you are down wind. A javalina can't see very good but brother they do have a good nose.
So here goes
make a gentle cough it should sound like UHh UHh and push the H with your diaphram real quite though no louder than an indoor voice. This is the sound that Javalina will make when they meet each other and are freindly. If they don't have your wind by golly they'll come into you and I mean right into you and start a nice little pigalina conversation.
If you can find a recording of these things talking to each other it would help as it's a real simple noise to make and it really works well.
Old February 4, 2002, 09:21 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Right after Thanksgiving, Long Path came out to see if I could find him a mulie. We were doing an evening sit down on some land I have. Just after sundown, about 25 javelina started moving past me--and all around me.

Two different mamas with half-grown shoats came up at different times, downwind, and tried to figure out what was this strange-smelling thing. They'd get within ten feet.

Watching all that nose-wrinkling and listening to all that deep-breathing made it very difficult to avoid a serious case of the ROFLs. Absolutely hilarious! I'm talking two or three minutes, each! I stayed still; they'd wander off.

(I got LP in there the next evening; he collected one and learned the "how-to" of pig disassembly.)

, Art