The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2010, 06:37 PM   #1
suzukibruce

grips, not a bad idea...

ok so i'm looking for grips for my remmy 1858... but i'm thinking of making some too, what if i press the original grips into wax or modeling clay and molding my own..
Old May 20, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2
zippy13

Why not just trace the existing grips on to your new wood (or other mat'l) with a heavy line? The thickness of the line gives you enough overlap for final fitting to the frame.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:44 AM   #3
ofitg

If you really want to cast grip panels, this outfit sells the materials -

http://www.jgreer.com/

You could get the AM125 Silicone Mould kit to make a mould from your original grips. If you like an "ivory" appearance, you can cast the new grips with their "Off-White Casting Resin".

It would be expensive, though, maybe 70 or 80 bucks altogether. That's a lot to spend for a pair of grips..... I don't know, but maybe you could make a mould with wax..... you wouldn't need much of that casting resin to produce a pair of grips; you would have a lot left over for "future projects".

Last year I had some of these materials left over from another project, and I used the stuff to cast grip panels for a percussion derringer. I was pleased with the results.
Old May 20, 2010, 01:57 AM   #4
suzukibruce

someone posted where i can get custom grips for the ol' girl so i'm going that route... maybe one of these days i'll pick up a chunk of moose antler and carve some myself...
Old May 20, 2010, 04:04 AM   #5
zippy13

Greetings, ofitg, and welcome aboard.

Thanks for your input. I completely mis-read suzukibruce's OP, I thought he was thinking of making a wax model for some grips he was going to carve. He was thinking of duplicating/modifying some existing grips. Intellectual property issues aside, I know there's a lot of hobby casting going on these days. I'm not part of it, yet. Casting would let you have elaborate matching grips on several guns.

Last edited by zippy13; May 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old May 20, 2010, 10:17 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Custom molded grips

http://www.tombstonegrips.com/index.htm
Old May 20, 2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Dino.

Here's another source ...
http://westernandwildlifewonders.com...a14790be8319ba

I currently have a set of ivory grips for my 1849 on order with them.
I spoke on the phone with "Don" a couple times and he's a super nice guy and very helpful.
I can post quality/fit when i gt them.