The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 30, 2005, 01:21 AM   #26
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I pick up used shotgun hulls when I find them or if I am at the club range, I grab some of the bright colored ones that won't reload or are too worn out to load. I take them to my range and toss them about in different areas. When they are hit, the usualy fly into another spot. It's fun .22 plinking and cost nothing. They will last a long time before they need disposing of.

I too, use the water in the milk jugs trick (secret is to fill them to the very top with hot or warm water and cap it off) as a demo of danger to new shooters. Thy head just above me neck is like 80% fluids and about the size of a milk jug. See what a high power (.270 or .06 etc.) shot does to a jug? Think of yr head when hunting? Shooting safe is good! This is an impressive lesson to new (and old too) shooters.

In relation to the above demo, I also prop up a section of 2x4 pine lumber with the 2" toward me. I walk up to about 5 feet from it and touch off a load of birdshot carefully aimed at 2x4. You will soon see that a shotgun is also very dangerous. I usually start out by asking the kids which is MORE Dangerous, a Shotgun or Rifle? Then I show them it really don't matter if you get shot. Sooo lesson is.... Shoot Safe !!!

Now, I am asking you about cast iron frying pans (skillits) if they work good? I have seen some of them that are really cheep at the discount stores and I don't think they would last very long. But maybe some old rusty ones from a garage sale with a quick shot of neon orange or green paint? Has anyone tried this? Or hang them and use as moving target too? I have never seen this, just thought of it for .22 shooting.

Another question to you... I have some siloettes (can't spell it) targets made for pistol and .22 that I bought (Sportsmans Guide I think) many years ago. Plate steel with flat base. Different sizes. Duck, chicken, etc. They almost fit in your pocket but very heavy. I have not seen them in any of the shooting catalogs in years. Are they still availible? In fact, I havent seen mine in years now I think of it. Anyone been sneakin around in my atic?
Old January 30, 2005, 05:33 PM   #27
PhotoRecon

Traditional clay pigeons are designed to break down with exposure to moisture over 5 to 7 years. The new biodegradable are designed to break down with exposure to moisture in less than 2 years. If they aren't exposed to moisture they may be there for a long time.
Old February 1, 2005, 09:57 PM   #28
dasmi

Quote:
I too, use the water in the milk jugs trick (secret is to fill them to the very top with hot or warm water and cap it off) as a demo of danger to new shooters. Thy head just above me neck is like 80% fluids and about the size of a milk jug. See what a high power (.270 or .06 etc.) shot does to a jug? Think of yr head when hunting? Shooting safe is good! This is an impressive lesson to new (and old too) shooters.
I remember when I was young and went to a summer camp, they were teaching us to shoot shotguns, and the counselor did the water jug demo, with a 12 gauge. Shotguns have always kinda freaked me out since then
Old February 3, 2005, 02:24 AM   #29
Dead-Nuts-Zero

dasmi,

Summer camp is where I too first saw this done some 40 years ago. I still remember that day! I have used this demo many times since, and it is something one will never (or should never) forget.

Bang --- }}}}}}}}}}}} ----- !

Old February 3, 2005, 02:43 AM   #30
zappadragon

Computers, Old Cell Phones, Old Pagers, Pretty Much Any Old Technology That I Spent Lots Of Money On That Is Now Worthless!

Also at work we have a plotter printer(big printer for big paper) and we have to where ID badges so you can find someones mug shot on the network and print out there badge picture and go to the range with that. Its definitly a head turner when you just clip up some random persons face and send it down range and start blasting away at it.

Last edited by zappadragon; February 3, 2005 at 10:45 PM.
Old February 6, 2005, 07:18 PM   #31
Ozzieman

Ok first off this never happed and I diddnt do it

A friend and I (he has a farm) took a one pound can of FFF and set it on a wooden stump and set a candle behind it About 3 feet.
Some one ( name withheld on request) shot an 8mm Mauser from 100 yards at the can of FFF.
We,,, I mean THEY did it around dusk and the resultant fire ball was most impressive.
It could be ( and was ) seen from over 2 miles away.
Dont do this at home
Old February 7, 2005, 12:17 AM   #32
Smokey Joe

Fireball

Ozzieman--IMPRESSIVE!!! Yee-haw! Now that kind of fun is stuff the antis would REALLY like to ban. Waaaaay too much enjoyment there.

And I discern that that's what the antis are against, anyhow. It's not shooting guns that bothers them, it's ENJOYING shooting guns.

Many years ago, it was found that the anti-cockfighting people didn't really care about the birds' suffering--it was the enjoyment that they wanted desperately to snuff out. (Mind you, I don't personally condone cockfighting, but it's because the birds suffer a nasty death.)

If we all lived in a sad, gray, dull world, mebbe then the antis would be happy. They'd be glad nobody was happier than them.

So: I'm sure that YOU would personally never do such a dangerous, awful thing, and endanger the neighbors, and risk a fire, and scare Aunt Matilda's cat. Why, that would be dreadful!

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; February 7, 2005 at 12:18 AM. Reason: crucial misspelling
Old February 8, 2005, 03:53 PM   #33
redhawk41

when i used to survey, i would keep some pin flags and lathe and shoot at those. also sacrificed a couple of the cans of marker paint, that was cool. shaving cream cans are fun. i always had a collection of soda cans in the back of my truck, some with so many holes you could barely recognize them. its always fun to sacrifice a full soda every once in a while. those exploding targets are fun especially if you stick em to something. the dumbest thing we stuck one to was an almost empty can of white fuel made a pretty good bang, we shot it with the .38 from about 15 feet
Old February 8, 2005, 03:54 PM   #34
redhawk41

oh, i forgot, stuffed animals with the 12 guage

might be easier to ask whats NOT fun to shoot
Old February 8, 2005, 05:19 PM   #35
1BadF350

Paper targets= $3.00
Fire extinguishers ABC type= $30
Can of propane and a candle= $30
Manequins dressed as terrorists= priceless
Old February 8, 2005, 06:33 PM   #36
MX5

As a range master in charge of a public range, I just shudder everytime I read one of these threads. Then again, I know all of you guys pick up after yourselves and don't leave a mess.
Old February 8, 2005, 07:31 PM   #37
shaggy

Since a picture is worth a thousand words, I'll save myself a few pages of typing...

Old February 14, 2005, 07:02 PM   #38
tomlj75

I have always enjoyed shooting used propane bottles( small ones that have the screw on torch head) but i take them out to my outdoor range with nothing around for miles, they go flying pretty good, but you never know where.
Old February 14, 2005, 08:10 PM   #39
Ozzieman

Dont you have a tear in your eye for that innocent car

Can I shoot next?????
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!
Old February 17, 2005, 07:20 PM   #40
wintergreen

metal sillhouettes

My dad got some of those steel sillhouette targets a few years ago, also from G.O. and we're still shooting two of the three. The prarie dog is missing but the boar and turkey are still with us. The top pole is bent on both because we've shot them so much, but they're a blast!!

If anyone knows where to get them, PLEASE post. I want more . . .
Old February 18, 2005, 01:46 PM   #41
FirstFreedom

I'm a fan of

-cheap
-explosive
-environment friendly, and
-no cleanup required

Potatoes, other fruits & veggies, cookies & crackers, charcoal briquets (generic brand of course!), clay pigeons. But yeah, also the occasional milk/juice jug with water, though that has to be cleaned up. I've also got 2 heavy steel gong swinging targets that I take to the range sometimes, and place wherever and just nail stakes in to keep them in place. One is a 4" circle. The other is a huge massive swinging circle - maybe 14" across and 1" or better thick.
Old February 19, 2005, 12:34 AM   #42
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Speaking of "vegies", I built one of them high tech "Potato" guns. It has a 1 1/2" bore barrel and about 4 feet long. If you have never seen this before...........you are really missing some fun! And is it dangeous??? Ask my 5/8" MDF (not sure of the official name, but it the glued press board like plywood stuff) board that I stood up against my corn stalks in my garden. From about 20 yds (give or take a few feet for the long barrel) the dang tater blew a very clean hole right through that board. It was about half again as big as the size of the bore as I remember. One would not want to stand on the wrong end. It's truly amazing what a little pvc pipe and a can of Aqua Net hair spray will do.

If you took a piece of this MDF board and lay in on some bricks and swung as hard as you can at it with a large framing hammer, it probably won't dent this board. But a raw potato ? ? ? O'hhhh my......
Old February 19, 2005, 01:51 PM   #43
Chuck Dye

We like ice: no cleanup! When visiting the right branch of the family, the cousin/caterer even lets us freeze up a batch of bunnies and swans (the humanoid snowman, clown, bride and groom molds are disallowed) which the kids love to shoot. Sure would like to have a set of molds for rimfire silhouette critters. The kids would far rather obliterate ice than ring silhouettes or gongs.

Once upon a time, we would cut tree trimmings into sections (length=diameter) and dip them in a slurry of flour, water, and sometimes food coloring for visibility. We would scatter the targets around a closed valley in the national forest. We would then hike the sides of the valley and take turns shooting and spotting for each other. The random range, random elevation practice really helped our hunting. We always made an effort to retrieve the targets we set out, but are unashamed of the ones we left behind. Fun? Yes! ‘Though not as much as frangible and exploding targets.
Old February 21, 2005, 10:56 PM   #44
waterman

Sorry Guys - Absolutely the most fun thing to shooot?

Cow Pies!

We hit a couple by accident - pretty soon we were looking for more!

What can I say - the S*&T really flies with my .40 S&W...
Old February 22, 2005, 12:27 AM   #45
Archie

Thinking about what Ozzieman reported, but did not do...

I'm curious how long milk jugs would last if filled with gasoline?

Of course, gasoline is much too expensive to waste in this manner... And something of this nature would require a specially prepared area, so as not to exascerbate the fire hazard....

But either a milk jug, or a five gallon Sparklette's water container... filled with gasoline and then capped with a rag, burning..... shot from 100? yards distance....

This is strictly an intellectual exercise. I urge everyone to forget completely about it.

PS, take the video camera.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 22, 2005, 07:19 AM   #46
Double Naught Spy

I like Shaffer Shifter reactive targets from Evans. You suspend it from a high point on a change or wire rope and start it swinging. It shot impacting the target causes the motion of the target to change. It is great for developing skills on sight picture, tracking, and trigger control.

http://www.evanstarget.com/pages/5/index.htm
Old February 22, 2005, 01:27 PM   #47
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Don't forget to apply for your enviromental permits before using the gas.

See sections

sub. 4459-c

6. - Use of Gasoline...other than lawnmower use.

A. Unleaded

B. Regular Unleaded

C. Gasoline Forign Country

1. Taxed by Forign Government

2. Always Taxed by US Government

Check all of these sections then call Washington and ask for the Gas Station Attendent on Duty.

You Will Need a Special Entertainment Permit Too. I think they are only 110 dollars on week days.

Bang )))))))))=======+++++++++------------->>>>>>>O

Sounds like fun if you are very careful

As Seen on TV!

But seriously, I would try a very small container like a soda bottle first. It will only use 2 cups of gas but should still give a great effect.

What kind of gun are you using?
Old February 23, 2005, 11:06 AM   #48
1BadF350

I'll shoot it if YOU light it!
Old March 28, 2005, 07:03 PM   #49
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Tannerite!

First saw these things late last year. Absolutely awesome! They are equivilant to a stick of dynamite, I think, but it takes a lot to set them off. We hit one several times with a 9mm +P+. Nothing. .223 round? BOOM! If you haven't tried Tannerite yet, you just GOTTA! If you do more than one, it wouldn't hurt to let your local LE office know so that when their phones start ringing, they won't think WWIII has started.
Old May 8, 2005, 03:14 PM   #50
butch50

On a calm day set a lit candle next to a can of hair spray, about 6 inches away. Shoot for the side of the can towards the candle. This makes a nice fire ball, so don't do it where you could start a grass/brush fire.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry