The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 22, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Ben Towe

Posts disappearing?

Am I the only one who has noticed posts disappearing? I have received no PMs or otherwise been contacted, just noticed that a post of mine disappears here and there. Most recently just a few minutes ago in Al Norris' thread: The Opposition to Obama and Gun-Control is Rapidly Growing. Is this a glitch? Or is someone removing posts because I've done something wrong?
Old January 22, 2013, 08:06 PM   #2
tyme
Staff

I see two. This may be a good reminder of forum policy, so although I wasn't involved, I'll outline the two rationales (as I personally see them) for the deletions:

First: "+1" and "^this", by themselves, and with no additional commentary, are frowned upon as content-free posts.

Second: There was a thread where the original post mentioned Islamic fanaticism, leading to several more posts about religion. Almost all of the subsequent posts that dealt with religion were removed, and the thread was closed. Religious discussions almost always turn into messes. TFL's staff don't like dealing with such threads, so they are usually nipped in the bud.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 22, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Ben Towe

Thanks for taking a moment to reply, tyme! I will keep those points in mind.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:58 PM   #4
tyme
Staff

That summary was for everyone's benefit, and not so much directed at you alone.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old January 22, 2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

It might be a good time for you to re-read the TFL rules of engagement:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/faq....aq_forum_rules

Please pay specific attention to number 5. Posts that broach any of those items are as likely as not to disappear, and possibly a sanction for the poster.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Ben Towe

Quote:
That summary was for everyone's benefit, and not so much directed at you alone.
Be that as it may, thank you anyway. And you as well Mike.