The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 6, 2010, 11:53 PM   #1
Links_56

Old Musket Identification Help!!!

Hello, This is my first post to this site. I have a old Flint Lock Musket and I was curious about the age and history. I think it is .69 cal. I have some pictures.

It has a proof mark that looks like 2 feet side by side

It has a sailing ship under the flint lock.
Old May 7, 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, it is a serious military type weapon, and old (i.e., not a repro or a decorator). The first thing I thought of was the British East India Company, but I can't find any marking like that associated with them. There seems to be a suggestion of a pagoda about what I assume to be a crest and something like seahorses as supporters.

Jim
Old May 7, 2010, 07:10 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

found this on the net

Here's what I found.

Quote:
It is no secret that included in the extraordinary cache of arms purchased from the Royal Nepalese Armory by IMA there were a limited quantity of original 18th Century British Brown Bess Flintlock Muskets. Regrettably, they were in a deplorable condition having arrived in Nepal via the East India Company sometime before 1820 and laid undisturbed, and not cared for, since the 1850’s. These Brown Bess Muskets are the East India Company Pattern of 1771 featuring a 39" barrel. The British Government adopted the 39" barrel (reduced in length from the 42” Short Land Pattern) in 1796. This is why these muskets are commonly referred to as "The Brown Bess India Pattern of 1796" or the Brown Bess 3rd model.

The Flintlock Locks were all made in England for the East India Company and still retain English maker markings, and incredibly dates within the 1770’s. Each lock also shows the East India Company heart symbol across lock tail. None of these locks however, bear a "Crown G.R." symbol as India was privately run as a corporation until after the Sepoy Rebellion of 1857/58 when the British Government assumed control.

The Flintlock Locks were all made in England for the East India Company and but the original English maker markings were removed once in Gurkha hands, after 1816, and replaced with a Gurkha Nepalese crest.
I think you need to add a kukri to your kit.

(BTW, moved to the Blackpowder forum where it'll get a lot more exposure.)
Old May 8, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

And that marking is the "Ghurka Nepalese crest" referred to. I am familiar with the "Heart EIC" mark of the East India Company, but didn't know that one.

New one on me and thanks, Gary.

Jim
Old May 8, 2010, 10:37 PM   #5
Links_56

Wow!! Thanks guys. So your saying this gun is from 1820-1850 about?? It's amazing how long a weapon can last. Would it hurt anything if I shot it?? I always wanted a flint lock ( I have several percussion ones) and now I'm afraid to shoot it. I defiantly need the bayonet though!!!!
Old May 8, 2010, 10:58 PM   #6
the rifleer

There are guns from that era that are fireable. If you shoot it make sure that it is in very good shape with no bore obstructions or any serious pitting. If everything is in good shape and there isnt any serious rusting or pitting or bore obstructions, i would shoot it with a small charge and use a realativly loose fitting ball. (i.e., you shouldn't have to put much effort at all into ramming it down)

If you should it, it would just kinda be for kicks and only shoot it once or twice, don't go spend the day at the range with it. Make sure you clean it before AND after you shoot it.

PS- I'm very envious of you...
Old May 9, 2010, 08:44 AM   #7
noelf2

All I can say is, if it were mine I wouldn't shoot it. Not because of the potential for being unsafe, but for the potential to ruin it forever. This is a piece of history. Get a reproduction brown bess to take to the range. You'll have the same experience without the worry. If you must shoot it, get it checked out by a competent smithy first, and then just shoot it light.