The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 19, 1999, 02:44 PM   #1
Axel Yup

I am seriously considering purchasing the S&W 342 Ti Airlite Centennial revolver. Unfortunately, I have to wait until the Maryland Handgun Roster Board approves it for sale (Hopefully in April).

I have been researching gunsmithing work for it. I would like two color three dot night sights for it like I have on my S&W 686 Plus. Ted Yost at Gunsite told me that because the 342 has an aluminum frame and barrel shroud that night sights cannot be installed. Teddy Jacobson is of the opinion that the sights are too small for night sights to be effective.

The gun has a pinned front sight on the barrel shroud. Can a tritium front sight be added?

I would appreciate any input.

Axel
Old March 20, 1999, 12:43 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Axel, contact the folks at Innovative Weaponry Inc www.ptnightsights.com and see what they have to say. If there's a way to do it, they'll know it. George
Old March 21, 1999, 10:40 AM   #3
Karanas

I have a S&W 642 which is similar in design to the 342. I also didn't really care for the sight arrangement, or lack thereof. You might want to consider getting a set of Crimson Trace laser handgrips instead of the night sight. I installed some on my 642 and it made a big difference.