The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 18, 2011, 12:35 AM   #1
hornetguy

B Square Scout Scope mount Mosin

I'm planning to scope my M44, and can't seem to find any reviews for the B Square scout mount. Does anyone have any experience with this mount?

Or, if you have experience with any other type of scout scope mount for the Mosin, I'd like to hear honest pros and cons of your choice.

I guess I'm trying to get a consensus on what is the "best" mount for it.

I'm not interested in bending/cutting/welding the bolt at all, at this point. I plan to use an intermediate to long eye relief scope of low power, preferrably no more than 4X.
Old December 19, 2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Don P

I found the rail mounts on ebay from this company www.alphasportsman.com and ordered them and will order the scope here,
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/672...er-style-rings

The rail mount was $11.95 with shipping from eBay here,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/superiorarm/...&_trksid=p3686

There are bunches of mounts for sale from $9.95 to as much as $50+.
Personally I ordered the $9.95 mount and I 'll order from Mid-Way the pistol scope from NcSatr and have a set up for around $60 total on a $119 rifle. I can't see putting a scope/mount set up that is worth more than I paid for the gun itself on a rifle. From all I have read the set up I mentioned will work fine.

They also have a set up mount and scope for $54.95 and free shipping.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Last edited by Don P; December 19, 2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Adding info
Old December 19, 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
hornetguy

Yes, I have seen two or three mounts mentioned, with varying reviews on each of them. I just have not heard anything about the B Square version. I suppose it's sort of mid-range, price wise, at about 30 bucks.
Other B Square products I've tried have been well engineered, so I imagine I'll go with it.
I plan on trying to get either a Burris or perhaps a Weaver scope. I don't mind paying more for the scope than the rifle, because I can always move the scope to another platform, if I so desire. But, if I put a cheap scope on it, that doesn't hold zero, or fogs up, or is not clear, I'm limiting what the rifle can do, and I can't depend on it.
I don't have anything against spending "less" for a scope, as long as it does its job, without reticle shift, or fogging up, etc.. I put a TruGlo diamond reticle (shotgun?) scope on my Marlin 45-70, and so far have been totally pleased with its performance.
Old December 19, 2011, 08:15 PM   #4
Don P

I'll do a range report when the scope shows up and I can get to the range. The rails showed today and both rails went on without a hitch. Now just waiting for the scope
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:25 AM   #5
ksstargazer

I have B-Square mounts on my Enfield and on my Garand. Both are rock solid mounts. I assume the mosin would be the same.
Old December 22, 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
MarkDozier

The b-square is a drop in replacement mount for the rear sight. Rock solid works well. Just need a good long eye relief scope for it.
Old December 22, 2011, 11:56 PM   #7
hornetguy

Thanks for all the replies. I planned to get a Weaver scout scope, but it looks like I'm going to have to spring for another 70 or 80 bucks and get the Burris.
I plan to order the B Square mount in the next week or so. I can't wait to see what my Mosin will do when I can actually SEE the bull at 100yds. It ought to be a shooter... it'll do an inch or less at 50yds, with open sights and my eyes. I can't see the bull well enough at 100 anymore to achieve the confidence level I like to have for hunting.