The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 8, 2009, 02:58 PM   #51
speakerguy79

I would just carry pepper spray and be done with it if you are on a college campus. Every girl I knew in college carried mace in their purse/book bag/on their keychain and none ever had a problem with the 'authorities'.
Old March 8, 2009, 03:34 PM   #52
longranger

I carry 16oz. can of "Bear Spray" it is about 20X more powerful than "pepper spray" same material just more and stronger.I figure it will take out about 2-3 zombies with maybe non lethal means.
Old March 8, 2009, 03:54 PM   #53
Don P

Staying at home locked in a closet. No one gets hurt including ones self
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:06 PM   #54
cracked91

Pepper spray or bear spray. On a college campus especially remember your just trying to get away. I think you would get as expelled by spraying someone, tasering them, and smashing their head on the sidewalk as you would by shooting or stabbing them. Plus bear spray has got something like a 98 or 99 percent complete deterrent rating. I mean, cmon, they use it for bears.
Old March 8, 2009, 06:47 PM   #55
BigDaddy

+1 on the biker style. Carrying a ball peen hammer is legal everywhere and has tremendous stopping power.

I am 42 and have an artificial left hip which qualifies me to carry a nice stout hickory cane without question (evern through airport security). That is my non gun defense.

cheers,

--Dave
Old March 8, 2009, 07:00 PM   #56
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I noticed I was not real clear... All the stuff I mentioned were my "key chain" and totaled a good bit over a pound
It also had a 6 inch 4 strand rawhide lace braided fob for a fine handle!
Brent
Old March 8, 2009, 07:27 PM   #57
BigDaddy

Yup, that is quite a keychain, leave a hell of a mark or imprint

--Dave
Old March 8, 2009, 11:44 PM   #58
Bradbx

leatherman wave? doesn't look very threatening, the two main blades can be opened with one hand (provided you're right handed), and its heavy enough to hit someone with
Old March 9, 2009, 11:06 AM   #59
BoulderTroll

Quote:
Outside of work, the best non firearm weapons I ever had were 2 German Shepherds, Max and Kato. They're in Heaven now but I'd take them over a bat, club or knife any day. A gun will run out of ammo, Max will keep coming at you. Spray Kato with oc spray, see what that does for you. I have a Boxer pup named Punch that has the makings of a good guard dog. I'm surprised no onje else said dog.
I agree, dogs are awesome but again, I really doubt there are too many college campuses that allow dogs to be brought to class by the students.

Did you ever spray Kato with OC (I hope not)? I'd be suprised if it was not effective. In my experience of spraying both dogs and people with OC, it is far more effective on vicious dogs. Dogs have such a heightened sense of smell I can usually spray it several feet away from the dog itself and they'll stop in their tracks. Humans I basically have to hose down pretty good in the eyes and mouth for it to be effective. And remember folks, OC spray isn't instant. Be prepared for a couple seconds at least of no apparent effect. It's not like the movies where as soon as it hits their eyes they drop and scream (in my experience anyways).
Old March 9, 2009, 06:17 PM   #60
EricReynolds

No, I never sprayed him. Just exagerrating the point that he was fierce. I was attacked by 2 guys while walking him when I was just a boy. The pooch proved his worth. Even when 1 of the assailants hit him with a stick, he kept up the attack (the stick probably only wosened the situation for those 2). As a 15 year old boy, I was enraged myself and bad guys got their lumps that day. Yeah, even major college campuses will seldomly have a K9 unit. I said aside from work though.
Old March 9, 2009, 06:41 PM   #61
2edgesword

If you're talking something practical, easily concealable that you can carry on you at all times (except airplanes, etc.) a 3" Spyderco Delica with a good dose of training is a great equalizer. Of course you don't take a knife to a gun fight but you might be very surprised at what a sharp (emphasis on sharp) 3" knife can do with respect to damage and stopping power.
Old March 9, 2009, 08:34 PM   #62
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
From my experience at the various college/university campuses I have been at where I have seen the policy regarding weapons, usually fixed blade is out the window in a dorm. Campus villages may be different since they have kitchens and you can't exactly cook without a knife. So here is a breakdown of what is available to the average student in a dorm

Pen/Pencil, ruler:
- Impact weapon, only good for inflicting pain for temporary immobilization (I say temporary cause depending on pain threshold YMMV. one second tops). Pressure points such as solar plexus, neck, throat, armpit, various points on the arms, sciatic nerve and groin. If you seriously want to go this route it is doable but have some serious stuff you can do after you hit one of the above points so a martial art would be a must

Text books:
- Only good if you have them in your hand and they can be used as distraction to get away. Science books are more likely to incapacitate than the literature, english, and art books I have had. My pathophysiology would be great at this point, probably weighs around 10-15 pounds... If the books are in the backpack best chance would be ditch the pack and run or throw the pack at the aggressor. If you are physically able the bag may be used as a shield if the aggressor has melee weapon of some sort i.e. the above mentioned ball peen hammer

Folding knife:
- Note: ONLY USE ONE AS A LAST RESORT!!! Most of my examples above use delay tactics to escape from a situation. The pen to a solar plexus followed by a simple Judo type throw or a knee to the face will distract them long enough for you to get away. Otherwise if you plan on carrying a knife, get some basic instruction on how to use the darn thing instead of trying to swing it around. Knives if used correctly can be used against that guy with a baseball bat or tire iron or ball peen hammer and most of the time you will come out on top. (most of the time since not everything is determined by skill in a fight, lots of dumb luck) Remember, the point is to get away unharmed. If you escape, you win.

Broom stick:
- This is a good one. I have a 1.5 ft segment i can carry in my backpack and no one can see it. Granted I don't need one but the only unfair fight is one you lose and I don't plan on losing. Take your broom and if it has a wood handle you can saw a little off the end and it will still be long enough to use as a broom. You can carry the sawed off part through metal detectors if there are any on campus (like the library, my laptop sets that one off everytime ). If you take the broom head off at night the resulting stick gives you a longer reach and with proper training you can take on most aggressors.

These are some examples. Again, the point that I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH is that you get away unharmed. Get training if you feel the need or have not had any. Most college campuses are safe if you stay inside at night and lock your door while you are in your room.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:44 PM   #63
BCeagle

Telescoping rods are illegal in some areas but would be a 1st choice. They do make pens that look like fancy metal industrial pens that are actually weighted to deliver a blow, they look good and would never arouse suspicion if you had it in your hand constantly.

Take Krav Maga or other real world self defense and go from there.