The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2014, 09:02 PM   #1
passtime

COL ?

I just started reloading .45 ACP cartridges a couple of days ago and I am working on the COL. As of now I am down to 1.250. The max Col for the load data I am using from the Lee Modern Reloading 2nd edition is 1.275 the minimum COL is 1.200. I started with the max COL of 1.275 and the cartridge would chamber in my SR45 but it would lock the slide closed. I gradually lowered the length until I reached 1.258 at which point the cartridge fed and ejected properly. Is this pretty much the normal procedure for arriving at the proper COL for a particular firearm or am I missing something here? From what I understand longer is better up to the max because the bullet is closer to the rifling of the barrel. I am also curious to know if the crimp might have something to do with why the round was giving me problems at just under max COL. Guidance would be appreciated.

Load Data:
230gr. LRNBB
IMR SR4756
6.4gr
CCI #300 LPP
COL 1.250

Last edited by passtime; April 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM.
Old April 15, 2014, 11:16 PM   #2
steve4102

COAL/OAL is always bullet and firearm specific not manual specific.

You must first find the OAL/COAL that Fits-Feeds-Fires in Your pistol. After all if it does not Fit-Feed-Fire there is no need to worry about pressure.

This is from our Moderator Unclenick to help illustrate where to start.

Once you find #2-#3, then it's up to the handloader to fine tune OAL/COLA for flawless feeding.

Old April 16, 2014, 12:16 AM   #3
passtime

Thanks. I had that pic but not the text above it. I did a plunk test and I had it set up like #3 to start and it kind of through me when the slide locked up with the first round. I have been looking at others load data and for a while all I saw was OAL's of 1.27 so I got concerned. Then tonight I started to see some OAL's that were more like what I had. One was as in an image posted on another forum of a page from the Lyman reloading manual using the same load data I am using with an OAL of 1.25 and he was firing it through an SR45 without issue. So that helped set my mind at ease. My OCD kicks in sometimes when I am doing something new ...lol. Anyway thanks for the post. More suggestions are welcome. I am wondering if the crimp or lack there of may have also contributed. Seems like I may be able to increase the length a little if I use more of a crimp. It would be a trial and error process. The only reason I would try to lengthen the OAL is for mare accuracy but I am not an accuracy freak. If I can produce a reload that is as good as a factory load I will be satisfied. So, it may not be worth the effort to even try to get more length. I can hit a can at 10 and 15 yards with the cartridges as they are now so I may leave well enough alone until I get more experience reloading. Also I found the thread " Loading 230 RN Lead bullets for .45 ACP - - a Tutorial" . Lots of good info there. I am reading through it now.

Last edited by passtime; April 18, 2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old April 16, 2014, 01:51 PM   #4
Gster

When I started reloading .45 acp I was seating to 1.250 and right away I started to have feed issues. After playing with oal I ended up at 1.23 and every thing I make that length feeds super reliable. That is what my 1911 likes. Now I just adjust the charge for accuracy.
Old April 18, 2014, 06:32 PM   #5
passtime

I have put about thirty rounds through my SR45 with the reloads I have made with a COL of 1.230 and it seems to be what works the most reliably.

Last edited by passtime; April 18, 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old April 18, 2014, 07:50 PM   #6
Gadawg88

My advice is put aside the notion of trying to increase OAL to increase accuracy. You are chasing your shadow. Find the OAL that functions in your pistol then work up your load to find the sweet spot.
Old April 18, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
passtime

Thanks Gadawg88. I seemed to have discovered that during my testing today. I hate to admit it but I have been looking at the plunk test completely wrong. When I found my error I dialed in the COL to 1.230 and had much better results. I am not an accuracy freak anyway, at least not yet. I am pretty much a lone wolf here where I am at. Reading from reloading manuals, internet research, trial and error, asking questions and bouncing things off of people in these forums is my only access to reloading information. I am retired so I have time to do all five. Thanks again.