The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old July 5, 2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

Built a PID for my lead pot

With a significant amount of help help of my Father, who has worked with electronics his whole life, I was able to build a PID controller for my lead pot. Unfortunately the PID controller I selected only work in Celsius, so I will have to do some conversions. Did my first test today, so far it has worked fantastic!

Used a 10x10 steel electrical box. Added an extra separate outlet for my hot plate or other items. put in lights for both outlets and a switch that will turn them both off. put a fan in the box to blow over the heat sync for the solid state relay. This box should last me a lifetime!

Really looking forward to having a better control on my casting temps.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PID.jpg (256.2 KB, 126 views)
Old July 5, 2022, 07:29 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Yep, PID is the way to go. Back in the late 80's I designed and sold one for the Lee pots at local gunshows. It was Lee-pot-specific, being entirely implemented with analog components and not auto-tuning nor with any of the other features the now-common and remarkably inexpensive digital controllers have. Those are easy to use, I built one for a pair of hot plate burners that keep my Parkerizing bath at temperature. A fantastic basic tool.

As far as the temperature units go, you'll get used to the Centigrade scale in no time. Just make up a list of common F and C temperatures you use and stick it on your wall and refer to it until it becomes second nature. Remember that the two scales cross at -40, where they are both that same value, that water freezes at zero C, and that ice cream is best served at -17.8C, which is 0 degrees F.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 5, 2022, 07:57 PM   #3
JefferS

That's really cool! I finished mine not too long ago and it is not near as advanced. Just does one pot and no extras. It does read out in Fahrenheit, although once I have the set point, I don't care too much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20220406_185720915~3.jpg (776.0 KB, 30 views)