The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2011, 02:16 PM   #1
aggie_2010

Die recommendation (Brand specific)

What brand of dies give the most bang for the buck? i.e. combine quality and affordability.

I'm looking for a die set for .40 S&W. Dies need to fit in an RCBS press.
Old January 19, 2011, 02:20 PM   #2
jimbob86

Most Bang for the buck?

Lee.
Old January 19, 2011, 02:29 PM   #3
HiBC

Lee dies are a value,and the load ammo just fine.
The Forster Benchrest series costs more,but I like the expander-decapper design and the seater.
Redding is another favorite,and I just bought some,"A" series,from Sinclair,for under $40
Old January 19, 2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Lee is, hands down, the most bang for the buck. Not inferior to anybody's standard dies, and superior to some. You will find, however, that every brand seems to have at least one die design that is superior to the others. Depends how picky you are.

For the .40 S&W, if you get the Lee set that includes their Factory Crimp die, you can then spend $15 on their Bulge Buster kit that fits on that Factory Crimp die to use it to reduce the common .40 S&W case bulges.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 19, 2011, 03:39 PM   #5
aggie_2010

?

Quote:
For the .40 S&W, if you get the Lee set that includes their Factory Crimp die, you can then spend $15 on their Bulge Buster kit that fits on that Factory Crimp die to use it to reduce the common .40 S&W case bulges.
Are base bulges common with this caliber, dependent on the handgun, or are bulge occurrences common with all fired semi-auto pistol brass?
Old January 19, 2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

All barrels that have a partly unsupported area under the head will tend to allow bulges. The less support and the higher the peak pressure of the round, the worse it gets. The reason the .40 S&W is particularly prone to it is the case is short and the pressure is high. The shortness tends to make the unsupported space a larger percentage of the case length, and the higher pressure tries harder to blow it out. The combination is harder to control for bulges than, say, a .45 ACP or a 9 mm.

If you get a gun with a fully supported chamber, it isn't a problem. But it is one reason some makers of .40 S&W pistols tell you not to try to reload for it. On the other hand, it is why Redding only introduced their GRx die (Glock Prescription, since Glocks tend to have a lot of unsupported case in the factory barrels) in .40 S&W. Some aftermarket barrels have less unsupported area.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; January 22, 2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:44 PM   #7
BigJakeJ1s

I like Hornady handgun dies much better than Lee, and they aren't that much more expensive. The Hornady seating die and lock rings seal the deal for me.

Andy
Old January 19, 2011, 09:52 PM   #8
dawico

I have to vote for Lee dies also. They work great and are the best bang for the buck IMO.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:53 PM   #9
Stumper

Lee.
I own dies from Lee, Pacific, Lyman, C and H, Redding and RCBS >> All of them work well..... and my first choice for features, function and frugality is always Lee unless I just happen to find a deal on some other brand of 'previously owned' dies.

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old January 19, 2011, 10:34 PM   #10
DavidAGO

I gotta go with Lee also; I used to be a RCBS snob, but now when I need a new set of dies, I just go on and order the Lee dies. I am also a fan of the factory crimp die.

DavidAGO
Old January 19, 2011, 10:45 PM   #11
noylj

First, if you are going to roll-crimp, buy a Redding Profile Crimp die.
Next, if you are going to deprime prior to case cleaning or sizing, buy the Lee Universal depriming die.
If you want to size the case as far down as possible, get the Hornady New Dimension TiN sizing dies (or some really OLD RCBS carbide dies from the late '70s/early '80s (very little if any chamfer).
I haven't seen any real improvement, but LOTS of folks swear by Lyman M-die expanders for lead bullets.
For a powder-through expanding die, I prefer Hornady (PTXs with their powder measure), Dillon (their powder funnels with their measure) and Lee PTE dies (with the Pro Auto-Disk).
For a general sizing die, I like Lee.
For a specific expander-only die (not a PTE), I like Hornady and RCBS. As above, LOTS swear by Lyman M-dies.
For bullet seating dies I like Hornady New Dimension or Lee dies. Lee will cut a custom seating stem for very little money. If you are loading cast bullets with a messy lube and you are getting lube build-up in the seating stem, get the Hornady or Dillon seating dies (both can be disassembled and cleaned while the die body stays in the press).
For taper crimp dies, I like Hornady and Lee.
For competition where feed reliability is more critical than hair-splitting accuracy, I like the Lee factory-crimp dies with the SAAMI max carbide insert--also like to use them in .40 with the bulge buster kit.
For the "ultimate" seating die (absolutely have not seen any improvement in COL consistency or accuracy on paper--I only have commercial rifles--but they sure are sweet to use), would be Forster BenchRest and Redding Competition dies with the micrometer seating stems.