The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 17, 2008, 10:35 AM   #1
jsmaye

Difference between a Makarov PM and a CZ-82

I'm interested in these handguns but really can't find what the differences are, besides the obvious, like country and company. In fact, I suspect the 82/83 is just a refined Czech clone of the PM, whereas the PM seems more scarce and maybe more collectible.
Old December 17, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
RamSlammer

The Mak is a single stack 8+1 with a left side safety and heel mag release whereas the CZ 82 is a double stack 12+1 with ambidextrous safety and traditional side located mag release. Also the CZ 82 has polygonal rifling.

The Mak is thinner and lighter.
Old December 17, 2008, 05:24 PM   #3
carguychris

They're totally different designs. This is readily apparent if you handle both. The only things they share are the same cartridge, similar actions, and vaguely similar appearance. The CZ-82 isn't a "clone" of the Mak any more than a SIG P226 is a "clone" of a S&W Model 39.

As RamSlammer says, the CZ-82 (technically CZ vz-82, but I'll let it slide...) is a substantially heavier and bulkier gun with a double-stack magazine.

Makarovs are more expensive for a couple of reasons.

First, they're not being imported anymore. Genuine C&R-eligible military Makarovs are actually somewhat rare. The lion's share of Makarovs advertised on GB and elsewhere were made for the commercial market and are not C&R, despite lots of 'Net misinformation regarding this fact. (Real military Maks never had adjustable sights and never came in .380ACP.)

Second, although the Mak obviously wasn't designed for CCW by American civilians, it's a naturally great gun for CCW due to its thin profile, light weight, toughness, and lack of sharp edges and corners. It takes to CCW like a duck to water. This has prompted many owners to hang onto theirs, cutting supply further and driving prices up. OTOH the CZ-82, with its greater thickness, heavier weight, and numerous sharp corners, isn't quite as good of a CCW piece.
Old December 17, 2008, 06:56 PM   #4
Doyle

The Mak can be totally broken down into 27 parts (plus 4 more for the magazine). The CZ-82 has easily double that. The Makarov can be field stripped by a blind monkey. The CZ-82 takes a field manual plus some skill (and then you have to get it back together).
Old December 17, 2008, 11:13 PM   #5
carguychris

I should have mentioned this before, but a lot of gun retailers market these guns in a very misleading way by labeling basically anything chambered in 9x18mm as a "Makarov". A CZ-82 is not the same thing as a Makarov, nor is a Hungarian PA-63 (the current über-cheapie pawn shop pistol of choice), nor is a Polish Radom P-64. These pistols aren't any more a "Makarov" than a S&W 4566 .45ACP semi-auto is a "Colt" or a Beretta 92FS 9mm semi-auto is a "Luger".

These retailers are fooling innocent suckers by playing up the wonderful reputation of the genuine Makarov. Don't be a sucker.
Old December 18, 2008, 09:28 PM   #6
lagavulin62

this is very good info. I have been researching makarovs and would like either a russian or east german one. what specific markings should I look for? is there some book available that details this. how do you tell a import stamp from one put on by the manufacturer?
Old December 20, 2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Ricklin

I do agree that some sellers play up the Makarov 'mystique' when they call the CZ82 a Makarov, that's just not correct.
Kinda dumb actually the CZ82 'is what it is' and can stand on it's own merits, I challenge ya'll to put a better c+r SD pistol in your hands for the money.

The CZ82 is off the scale in the value for money department.
Old December 20, 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
jdc1244

Quote:
The CZ-82 takes a field manual plus some skill (and then you have to get it back together).
To field strip or completely break down? If the former you have a unique definition of ‘skill.’
Old December 21, 2008, 01:42 AM   #9
RamSlammer

Quote:
I challenge ya'll to put a better c+r SD pistol in your hands for the money.

The CZ82 is off the scale in the value for money department.
+1

I'll go further and say it's probably the zenith of blowback pistol design. Very modern features: Polygonal rifling, ambi mag releases and safeties, cocked and locked carry option or DA/SA, easy field stripping, etc. Also the 9x18 is probably the most powerful cartridge a blowback design can tolerate. All in all, it's a very good gun. I carry mine sometimes instead of a .357 or 9mm and do not feel ill-armed at all. For $200 or so, nothing's even close.

All that said, a PM carries better and fires the same round, but with less of them on tap.
Old December 21, 2008, 02:55 AM   #10
volkstrm

Makarov info

You can find some good info on www.makarov.com. I have 3 of them,a Russian,East German & a Bulgarian. If you are really thinking of getting one of these fine pistols get them as soon as you see a good one for a good price,they are drying up. The East German are know to be the best & the Bulgarian's are hard to find. Try the shot gun news,thats where I got my East German from.Paper's & all for like $325.00 hand pick. Came in looking like new,no kidding! Good luck.
Old December 21, 2008, 01:31 PM   #11
jsmaye

Quote:
Also the 9x18 is probably the most powerful cartridge a blowback design can tolerate.
Generally true, with exception of the Hi Point pistols and carbines.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:18 AM   #12
ken p.

What do I have?

I have a Makarov made in Russia by IMEZ. It takes the double stack 10 or 12
round mag. The markings on the pistol are IJ70-18AH and it also says Cal.9mm
Makarov. It has adjustable rear sights and it is a very accurate little pistol.
Can anyone tell me a little more about this pistol Thanks
Old January 25, 2009, 05:14 PM   #13
m.p.driver

Plus the E.German maks you used to be able to get for $79,the reasoning i used for buying two those many years back ,was that they were made in the old walther factory,sweet trigger pull,and Stasi and E.Germany was no more.
Old January 25, 2009, 11:09 PM   #14
carguychris

Quote:
I have a Makarov made in Russia by IMEZ. It takes the double stack 10 or 12 round mag. The markings on the pistol are IJ70-18AH and it also says Cal.9mm Makarov. It has adjustable rear sights and it is a very accurate little pistol. Can anyone tell me a little more about this pistol Thanks
It's one of the previously mentioned non-C&R commercial-production Maks. Military Maks have single-stack mags and fixed sights. IIRC many IMEZ Maks were sold in the USA during the 90s, and the double-stack ones are less common than the single-stack models, but I don't know a whole lot else because they're not really my cup of tea.

You might want to repost this in the "Semiauto" section since it's not a C&R gun.