The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 12, 2000, 11:44 PM   #1
WinMag

I just picked up my new Guide Gun yesterday. I purchased some Buffalo Bore Ammunition in order to sight my prized rifle in. Ammunition specifics are as follows: 430gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N.-G.C. (1925fps)(hard cast bullet). The warning posted on the ammunition is as follows: "45-70 Magnum ammunition is intended for use in and is safe for use in only the following firearms: Browning Mod. 1885 and 1886, Marlin Mod. 1895 manufactured since 1972, Rugers #1 and #3, new production Winchester 1886, and Shiloh Sharps rifles".

I fired 8 shots through my new rifle and went home to clean it, when I noticed a small crack in the top of my stock where the receiver screws into it. Is this normal? or should I not be using this kind of ammo?

I also found out that I cant raise my rear sight up enough to be on target at 50yds. I am still about 3 inches low.

I hope I can get my stock fixed (even though its a small crack, I can't stand knowing its there).

Thanks for your help,
WinMag
Old March 13, 2000, 01:04 PM   #2
J. Fielder

That isn't normal. I've been shooting the Big Bore Loads and the Garrett loads for a year or two with no problems. I have two friends who shoot the same loads with no problems. Are you sure that the stock wasn't cracked before? (I wouldn't ask this, but you said the gun had never been shot before, correct?).

Sorry to hear about your Guide Gun. Mine is one of my favorite firearms.
Old March 13, 2000, 03:40 PM   #3
WinMag

I called Marlin this morning and they are going to send me a brand new stock. I just hope nothing internal is ruined also. Everything seems to look fine inside, however I did find a metal filing when I was cleaning it. The Buffalo Bore (ammo people) say that thats not uncommon for a brand new gun. I just hope he's right. He also said that the ammo has 40,000cps, and I cant seem to find a reputable source to let me know how much my new rifle can take.

The Buffalo Bore people said that when a stock cracks like that, its usually because there was a hairline crack or a small defect in it from the factory.

Have you had any problems with your rounds printing low at 50yds with open sights, using the big bore ammunition? I seem to be getting two different opinions on this matter. One opinion is that there is something wrong with my new rifle, and the other is that the heavier 430gr bullet and the cheap sights are the reason.

Thanks,
WinMag
Old March 14, 2000, 08:21 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

40,000 copper units of pressure sounds about right for a lever-action. Sounds low for a Ruger #1. After all, the .308, etc., are factory-loaded to 53,000 psi (a different measure than CUP) and I dis-recall the equivalent CUP.

Sounds like the stock was already flawed when you got the gun.

I'll assume you're not "hunching" into the gun when you shoot: In today's world, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the wrong sights had been installed! (As in too high a front sight.) A solution would be to install a shorter-post front sight...

FWIW, Art
Old March 14, 2000, 10:23 PM   #5
Paul B.

Winmag. I put a Williams receiver sight on my 1895 Marlin. Lyman and Ashely also make receiver sights that work well. I threw the tinny piece of junk Marlin had put on the rifle in the trash.
Paul B.
Old March 15, 2000, 12:13 AM   #6
Wayne Dobbs

Winmag,

Definitely get some receiver sights on your Guide Gun (damn, I'm jealous of you having one!). I have the Ashley receiver sights on a Marlin 336 .30/30 and they are really great. Get rid of those POS sights Marlin puts on the gun!

Wayne Dobbs
Old March 15, 2000, 07:08 PM   #7
WinMag

Thanks for all your responses,

Sounds like its normal for a Marlin to print low with factory sights. On a side note, I was shooting from a rest (so I was kinda hunched over the rifle). Would that have an affect on a low impact? The last round I shot was standing unsupported at a 25yd target and it was still a little low (I cant imagine that I moved that much to cause it, but I may be wrong).

Thanks for the info on the after market sights. I'll definately be on the lookout for them.

WinMag
Old March 16, 2000, 09:43 AM   #8
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Sorry to hear of your stock problem, but Marlin is good about things like that and you may find that your replacement stock is a pretty nice piece of wood. As for the sight problem, shooting low with factory sights and extra power ammo in a .45-70 is to be expected. The rifle is regulated for the leisurely pace of the factory load, which allows lots of time for the piece to recoil as the bullet meanders up the bore. Low velocity loads always shoot higher than zingers. A good receiver rear/post front will solve your sighting problems: the Ashley brand that others have mentioned are good, but pricey. I put a Williams Foolproof rear and old Redfield Sourdough front post on my own M1895S. Puh-leeeze don't think of putting a 'scope on it, like the gun rag writers want you to do!!!!! slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Old March 16, 2000, 07:30 PM   #9
WinMag

...lol Slab,

I was thinking of putting a 6-24x44 on the old 1895..Just kidding!

I will keep open sights on it, I just need to look into the aftermarket sights and get them ordered. Thanks for the info on why my gun prints low with the hotter round. It makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way. The only modification I may make at a later date would be to get the kevlar stock and foregrip from Wild West Guns and possibly a satin stainless finish since I will be carrying this rifle in the Alaskan bush.

Have you noticed the blueing on your hammer being rubbed off from the bolt at all? I installed the offset hammer extension and noticed that the bolt really rubs it when the rifle is charged (because the offset extension is "raised" higher than the standard hammer when installed). I know this is probably normal, because I see it on every lever action rifle I look at.

WinMag
Old March 17, 2000, 04:48 PM   #10
Rule303

Department of Silly Questions: I put a Lyman receiver peep on my M1895G. I left the issue rear sight in place, since I don't really notice it. Is this a recognised thing to do or should I remove the rear sight?
Old March 17, 2000, 04:56 PM   #11
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

Win:
Yeah, the bolt will rub pretty good on the top of the hammer when the action is cycled. If you look underneath the bolt, the back end has a 'nub' that is there, I think, to make sure the hammer goes back plenty far enough to catch the full cock notch. I just put a bit of MoS2 paste on the top of the hammer after giving it a rub with crocus cloth, and worked the lever a few hundred times. Nice and smooth, then. The hammer extension dingus isn't needed unless you (choke) 'scope (gack) the rifle, otherwise, I think it just slows hammer fall. I never use mine, but if I did, I'd file a little groove on the top of it where the bolt rubs. (Being an old time lever guy I never use the dingbat safety, either.)
Rule 303: I took the rear off my 1894C and put one of Marble's nice contoured dovetail filler blocks in. The 1895 still has its folding rear, set low with the leaf down, 'just in case' (I sometimes wear both a belt and suspenders, too.)
slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

[This message has been edited by slabsides (edited March 17, 2000).]