The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 6, 2015, 12:03 PM   #1
davem

Springfield Trapdoor Rifle

Last weekend I saw one in a local gun shop: Springfield stamp on the lock and in good shape, bore nice and shiny. $700. There are three clicks on the hammer. The first is so short that you can't open the trapdoor, the second seems like a safety and the third is to fire. Any explanation on the function appreciated.
Old January 6, 2015, 01:31 PM   #2
rkittine

When I had a couple of these (one officers model carbine and one regular 1873) I used the first click as a safety, the second for safe loading or unloading as you could open the trap door and the third as ready to fire.

Fun rifles to shoot. I should never have sold them.

Bob
Old January 7, 2015, 01:12 PM   #3
davem

Well I know some replicas were made but this has "Springfield" stamped on the lock plate and looks to be original except it is in absolute mint condition, no rust, bore bright and shiny, etc. For $700 I think the price is fair. I understand that only original 45/70 loads should be fired in this action.
1. How difficult is it to clean the firearm after shooting?
2. At 100 yards what size groups are usualloy obtainable?

Thanks.
Old January 8, 2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Dragonflydf

Quote:
Well I know some replicas were made but this has "Springfield" stamped on the lock plate and looks to be original except it is in absolute mint condition, no rust, bore bright and shiny, etc. For $700 I think the price is fair. I understand that only original 45/70 loads should be fired in this action.
1. How difficult is it to clean the firearm after shooting?
2. At 100 yards what size groups are usualloy obtainable?

Thanks.
Cleaning is easy, other than dealing with the length of the rifle, I have to use the cleaning rod that is under the barrel. I scrub mine out with a brass brush, then patches and a final pass with a mop brush with oil on it

As far as group size, I can easily keep them in the black at 200yrds.

For loads you will hear those that only shoot smokeless loads, well, I have seen too many photos of Trapdoors blown up by smokeless loads. It is too easy to get a double charge, or get some off the shelf that is only intended for "modern" 45/70 rifles. I stick to black powder loads, you cannot overcharge them, they are what the gun was designed to use, and you have to love the smoke cloud. I am currently using a 405gr cast round nose over a case that is filled to the bottom of a seated bullet with Triple 7.

I have 2 Trapdoors, a 1873 Carbine and a 1886 Rifle and both see the range a lot.