The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 22, 2006, 06:47 PM   #1
kmeyer

Recipe Selection

Hi all.....I've been reading a ton on reloading both online and reloading manuals for about a year now and plan to buy a Lee kit in the next week or so. I plan to begin by just loading 45colt cowboy loads and working my way to 44mag, 223rem and 30.06 which are my hunting rounds.

My question is around recipe selection. Do you choose your bullet first and then find a load in a manual using that bullet? Or, do you pick a powder and use a recommended load from the powder manufacturer? I understand you never want to swap out a component in a recommended recipe, but what component do you start with? I kinda feel it may be easiest to select the bullet you want to use first and work from there. Thanks in advance for any advise offered.
Old December 22, 2006, 06:52 PM   #2
1tomcat

That is the way I do it, start with the bullets or bullet available and select a powder to suit the load am aiming for, for cowboy shooting in the 45, you could use red dot or 231 or several other available powders, some other folks might give you better advice.
Bob
Old December 22, 2006, 07:03 PM   #3
Bullet94

I start with the bullet, but you could start with a powder so either way will work. Pick a bullet then choose a listed powder, start your powder charge at the minimum end and work up. As long as your using listed recipes you should be good either way.

Quote:
kmeyer I understand you never want to swap out a component in a recommended recipe,
Changing components in a listed recipe can be done, but then it’s not the same recipe. Sometimes changing components could be or is dangerous, other times it would be OK (depending on the changes made). A beginner reloader is best off to stay with listed recipes.

Recipes include-
Case
Bullet
Powder
Primer
And don’t forget OAL

Last edited by Bullet94; December 22, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old December 22, 2006, 07:51 PM   #4
kmeyer

Thanks for the input so far. One thing I have also noticed is at both the "Hodgdon" and "IMR" sites, the have straight recommended loads at both, but not minimium and maximium.
Old December 22, 2006, 07:58 PM   #5
Bullet94

If there is only one listed powder charge it is the MAX load. Reduce by 10% for minimum. Except slow pistol powders like H110 & 296. There should be warnings about not reducing these more than 3%.

Last edited by Bullet94; December 22, 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old December 23, 2006, 12:43 AM   #6
amamnn

I've found that the data listed by the bullet mfgrs is more accurate and vesatile. They test a lot of powders of different type and brand with a variety of bullets. Loads are generally listed as a sort of pre-accomplished ladder test for each bullet. Some bullet mfgr manuals will tell you how full particular powders filled their cases and/or which powder in which loading was most accurate or hit hardest on target or worked an expanding bullet best. Of course your results will vary, but you can get a better idea of what a powder and bullet will do using this info.
Old December 23, 2006, 12:53 AM   #7
goose2w1

I always start with the bullet and alot of research. Once the bullet is selected I start with a powder charge. Problem is most of the published data comes from test barrels. I believe Speer uses actual firearms for all their data.
Old December 23, 2006, 09:02 AM   #8
kmeyer

Thanks again for all the input on this thread. I thought of one more question. If for example "Hodgdon" recommends a load with a 150 grain Nosler BT, would it be dangerous to use a different bullet as long as the grains were the same still? What I mean is would using a 150 grain Hornady SP completely change the recipe and possibly make for a dangerous situation. I don't really plan on doing this, just curious if it is safe or not?
Old December 23, 2006, 09:52 PM   #9
Bullet94

When using different brands of bullets of the same weight the recipe will be changed. So reduce powder charge and work up again. Different brands of bullets probably will have different amounts of bearing surface and different OAL’s. Either of these will change the pressures. When changing components I believe you should always reduce the powder charge and work up again. You don't want to change components when using loads near or at MAX pressure.
Old December 23, 2006, 10:09 PM   #10
skeeter1

I'm hardly a pro. I only reload .38Spls and .357 Magnums any more. This page might help you,

http://www.reloadammo.com/
Old December 24, 2006, 08:51 AM   #11
kmeyer

Thanks again for all the info...I'm sure this will be a fun hobby that allows me to shoot more!!!
Old December 25, 2006, 06:09 PM   #12
castnblast

I can speak to the rifle side, that bullet type as well as weight will make a difference. GENERALLY, changing manufacture and not type will not change things up too much. Sometimes it won't change at all. So the amount of reduction and work up will not be as great as changing types, i.g. Going from a boat-tail to a flatbase. In that case, I'd reduce the charge fairly significantly. Maybe not all the way to my original starting weight, but I'd cut the charge by at least 2 full grains, if not more. You will learn how your gun reacts after a while, and get better at making the call. It is always better safe than sorry. The 22's really build pressure quickly, and also tend to like loads close to max, so if you are near max, take that into consideration, and back off a bit more.

To the original question. I pick the bullet, then the appropriate powder, since my reloading is geared toward hunting, I'm picking the bullet that will do the job I need it to, for the game I plan to hunt. Then I pick the powder. Typically, once you find a powder that works well in your gun, you won't need to change it...unless you just want to...Reloaders like to tinker, which is one reason we do this in the first place...