The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2002, 11:56 PM   #1
robctwo

First Deer for new BAR 308

I went out this morning and shot a nice 3 point blacktail buck. We only count one side w/o eye guards out here (western Or.) I bought a new .308 BAR Lightweight Stalker. Using 165 grain ballistic tips. First shot was a killer, but he bounced a couple times and I was unable to resist shooting again, which cost me some haunch meat ( darn ). In two weeks I will have finished the first weekend of the cow elk hunt in Central Or. I think this gun might be just the ticket. I set it up with the Safari sling which is very comfortable. 3x9 Leupold Vari ll. The buck this morning was very accomodating. He trotted right up the hill from the family gardens and stopped broadside at about 60 yds. Tenderloins were excellent. It has been too dry for the chantrells. there will be mushrooms and venison before long. First, get the deer...
Old November 5, 2002, 01:12 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Happiness is fresh meat!

I'm gonna move this over to the Hunt forum...

Art
Old November 6, 2002, 07:44 PM   #3
BIGR

Glad you got you a deer with your new Browning rifle. I use a Browning MK II Safari in 30.06 with a 3x9x40 Nikon monarch scope, since most of my hunting is in thick woods with shots at 100 yards or less. That rifle has served me well and just feels good in my hands. The first season I used it I killed a buck with it and from then on it has claimed several deer a year. It has about as good of accuracy as some bolt guns. I don't think you will go wrong by using a .308. I have always been a 30.06 man. I have considered a .308 in a bolt gun but just haven't taken the plunge yet. Good luck and I hope you get ol big boy with your new rifle.
Old November 8, 2002, 11:33 PM   #4
BusGunner007

The BAR.

Just sounds good, don't it?

Someday I'll take my Safari MkII / B.O.S.S. - C.R. in 7mm Rem.Mag. out for a hunt.
I hope I get something with it!