The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 30, 2001, 01:23 PM   #1
Fred S

Dillon 550 Maintenance?

The Dillon folks say to lube the 550B twice a year using 30 wt motor oil on the shaft and by greasing the pivot pins. How does one go about greasing the pivot pins?

Thanks

GO ARMY
Old June 30, 2001, 06:23 PM   #2
Good Guy

I use moly with a grease gun with the pointed attachment for greasing auto suspensions. The attachment pops on the standard zerc fitting attachment most grease guns come equipped with. You have to lean on the grease gun lever pretty hard to get grease in the pivot points as the clearances are very close, but are accessible via the little holes in the linkage. It'd be nice if Dillon put fittings on their presses to facilitate greasing them.
Old June 30, 2001, 09:24 PM   #3
JohnK

I wouldn't worry about it, I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds on my 550 over the last 10 years or so without ever lubing it and without having any problems (other than a primer bar return spring getting lose and wearing out).

If you must grease it I'd say Good Guy's idea of using a grease gun is better than trying to squirt 30wt motor oil in there, motor oil will eventually drip out, grease will stick and stay put.

http://www.handloads.com
Molan Labe!
Old June 30, 2001, 11:14 PM   #4
Real Racer X

Fred, I've had to tear mine apart twice in the last five years to grease and maintain my 550 (usually every 10-15k rounds). You'll know it's time to do so when (in my case) the handle doesn't quite spring back after seating the primer. It's not a painfull operation but involves driving the pivot pins out, greasing them, then driving them back in. I'm not sure if the operation is in the manual now but the Dillon folks are really helpful and will walk you through it.
Old July 2, 2001, 07:24 AM   #5
pwiz

Yeah, I had to lube my 550 after about 3 years of use when it seized up. I took it apart and greased the pins. I oiled the riser a bit and used graphite on the primer slide. I now grease the pins with a needle attachment on my hand grease gun, seems to do the job.

pwiz