The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2014, 10:30 AM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
I have a Natural Gas furnace down there, and I figured with the powder fumes, when the furnace kicks on, that it would create an explosion.
When the pilot in the furnace goes off the gas is shut off. Going the other, I made an attempt to demonstrate powder burn speed. Black powder went 'FLOOM' and in a flash it was gone, then pistol powder, pistol powder burned much slower but did not ignite until the match was stuck to the powder. Then rifle powder, the rifle powder burned like a sparkler, it did not ignite until the match was in contact with the powder.

Another concern when grinding. Steel wool will ignite with the slightest hint of a spark.

F. Guffey

I was at Altus Air Force base in the early 50s, they had three KC 135s parked too close to each other. One caught fire, for some reason they started fighting the fire, I suggested they moving the other two. It was a good thing I was not sensitive. Then there were the airmen that wanted to know what happen to cause a B52 to come to a screeching stop. I ask them if they drove automatics or standard transmissions, they drove standards so I told them the B52 pilot missed second gear. That got them through another day.
Old October 14, 2014, 11:39 AM   #52
Jim Watson

Quote:
Is there any danger in me reloading in my basement? I have a Natural Gas furnace down there, and I figured with the powder fumes, when the furnace kicks on, that it would create an explosion. Am I nuts?
That would be no and yes.
Smokeless powder does not have "fumes."
You can smell a trace of residual solvents but that is way below the LEL for acetone, alcohol, and ether.
Old October 14, 2014, 07:53 PM   #53
CoyoteHunter5

Hey, thank you guys for all your help! I wasn't well accepted at other forums for asking questions like I did, so I appreciate you guys being really patient with me! TheFiringLine truly is the best!