The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 3, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1
chasep255

AP Bullets

I heard from someone that firing Armor Piercing bullets can be bad for a barrel. I wanted to reload some AP rounds form my AR but not if they will damage my barrel. Any thoughts?
Old April 3, 2011, 08:37 PM   #2
DnPRK

Nonsense. AP bullets have a copper jacket that protects the bore from the hardened core. During the '60s and '70s when match bullets were sometimes scarce, AP bullets were preferred because they were more uniform than FMJ bullets.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:32 PM   #3
Clark

I saw John Benjamin a few times at machinery auctions. He would drive up to the greater Seattle area from the Portland area. He makes premium barrels all by himself.

I was talking about the 30-06 black tip AP bullets were producing better groups for me than Match Kings. He said those AP are bad for barrels.

He is a top state level competitor in high power, and I am just another guy at the range. What would be bad for his barrel might be so subtle, I would never know the difference in mine.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 4, 2011, 04:15 PM   #4
bamaranger

got a jar full

I've got a coffe can full of black tip M1 black tip pull down slugs, but have not shot any.

I'd heard that some found them more accurate. They are also longer than similar weight lead slugs, which might boost BC a bit.
Old April 4, 2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Clifford L. Hughes

Clifford L. Hughes

Chasep 255:

I have a Modle 70 Winchester that I have fired thousands of rounds of AP, ball and tracers through. It still shoots 1.0 to 1.25 inch groups with Nolser Ballastic Tips. I hope the this helps you decide.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old April 4, 2011, 05:22 PM   #6
Longdayjake

Well, theoretically the new m855a1 ammo could do some damage to the feed lips of a rifle, but I don't see how it could damage the inside of a barrel. Maybe they might do damage to the top of the chamber as well. Since the chamber is part of the barrel I guess you could say it may damage a barrel. The steel tip on the m855a1 is exposed. Other m855 is covered in copper and should be no worse for your barrel than a lead core.