The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2007, 01:59 PM   #76
Dave P

Chuck Norris

"There is no doubt in my mind that somewhere there is a highly trained martial arts sensei that can disarm virtually anyone."

Have you met Chuck Norris? " Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People."
Old July 31, 2007, 04:07 PM   #77
markj

Chuck is the first white man to achieve his level of belt. Not a weak feat.

There used to be a martial artist that caught a bullet in his teeth, an arrow in one hand etc. He was ready tho.
Old July 31, 2007, 09:58 PM   #78
Deaf Smith

Sure I know a few martial artist that can disarm every time. After noticing an idiot with a gun that is printing they just beat the hell out of them before they even know the 'artist' was even in the same room with them.

See you guys keep thinking the handgunner is going to be waving their gun around.

I know one man, an old friend, who was a used car salesman in Lousianna. A rather pissed off ex-customer came to where he worked with a pistol in his belt. He showed the gun and told him how irritated he was. The used car salesman just pushed the gun (and gunman's hand) deeper into his belt while he bashed the guys head in with the free hand while he pinned him to the side of a car.

So, yep I know of a real life disarm. Only thing is, my friend was not, nor ever had been, in any martial art!
Old August 2, 2007, 06:42 PM   #79
paradoxbox

You can be pretty sure most black-belts of taekwondo have little to no skill. They're flexible and that's about it.

IMO the only martial arts worth training in come from Japan. You get a good solid course in a hard style of jujutsu it will bring your understanding of reflexes and pain to a new level. If you ever make the trip to Japan you will meet some police officers and martial art experts who could knock a gun out of your hands and throw you on your neck faster than you can even think of pulling the trigger.

Trust me on this one. Anyone who thinks otherwise, if you're ever in Japan, take a stop by a local jujutsu dojo and get the head honcho of it to use you as their test mule for stuff like that.

Guns are great if you have a bit of space, however knives and hand to hand skills rule the day when you're in tight spaces. I'd pick my hand to hand or knife skills every time over a gun if I were ever confronted in a bus or train or plane.