The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 14, 2007, 01:48 AM   #1
JAXX

You come out of a WalMart and .........

What do you do if you're packing in this case.

http://www.codyenterprise.com/articl...news/news3.txt

Just happened Monday, about 30 miles from where I live. I don't think I would take any action other than call the police here unless my life or family's was in danger, how about you all?
Old July 14, 2007, 02:14 AM   #2
The Tourist

"how about you all?"

This might sound odd, but I'm just careful when, where and how I shop. Now, that might not seem as odd as you might first think.

Look at the worst case you can think of for this debate. You get the jones for a big bottle of cheap rot-gut about zero-three-thirty in the morning. Slipping on only shower flip-flops, you stumble bleary-eyed into the nearest ghetto liquor store and dump a fistful of twenties onto the counter. My guess would be that your life could now be measured in seconds.

If you don't want to get hit by the train, then stay off the tracks.

Lots of stores in my area have security cams and bright lights in their parking lots. I patronize those stores.

I dress conservatively. I shop with a purpose. I know what I want, where it is and how much money I need to carry. I encourage my wife to shop with a friend. I make sure she has gas money, a charged cell phone and keys.

Predators look for the weak.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:19 AM   #3
eltorrente

Quote:
This might sound odd, but I'm just careful when, where and how I shop. Now, that might not seem as odd as you might first think.

Look at the worst case you can think of for this debate. You get the jones for a big bottle of cheap rot-gut about zero-three-thirty in the morning. Slipping on only shower flip-flops, you stumble bleary-eyed into the nearest ghetto liquor store and dump a fistful of twenties onto the counter. My guess would be that your life could now be measured in seconds.

If you don't want to get hit by the train, then stay off the tracks.

Lots of stores in my area have security cams and bright lights in their parking lots. I patronize those stores.

I dress conservatively. I shop with a purpose. I know what I want, where it is and how much money I need to carry. I encourage my wife to shop with a friend. I make sure she has gas money, a charged cell phone and keys.

Predators look for the weak.
This was Walmart in the middle of the afternoon.

If you avoid this type of "situation", then you must be feeling threatened all the time.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:23 AM   #4
JAXX

Quote:
This was Walmart in the middle of the afternoon.

If you avoid this type of "situation", then you must be feeling threatened all the time.
Man, I was kinda thinking the same thing here. What the hell was that post all about?
Old July 14, 2007, 02:44 AM   #5
chris in va

Once over the initial shock, I probably would have found SOME sort of cover/concealment with gun drawn but not aimed yet. Doesn't sound like a SD situation on the shooter's part.

Otherwise be a good witness like he was.
Old July 14, 2007, 02:44 AM   #6
Fremmer

Shop at Target instead.
Old July 14, 2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Tim Burke

Turn around and go back into the Wal-Mart.
Old July 14, 2007, 07:17 AM   #8
drewbuddy

defiantly don't shoot back. get to a safe vantage point and get a best description of the perp, to include a license plate number. shooting back could endanger even more lives than what are already threatened.

now if i was within ten feet of the guy that's a completely different story. draw down on the sob, order him to drop his weapon and then order him onto the ground until the proper authorities arrive. if he turns to fire, one carefully, non-lethal shot. that of course being in self defense.

or you could try the charging route if your not comfortable drawing down on him. tackle him. disarm and then detain.
Old July 14, 2007, 08:17 AM   #9
Dwight55

+1 for going back into Wally World.

While you are in there, . . . might get a sympathy card and some flowers for the survivors of anyone foolish enough to try to take on an armed man by charging him barehanded, . . . disarming him and holding him for the authorities.

This guy has already demonstrated his willingness to shoot, . . . he has a weapon, . . . you are just another target.

The same goes for the mindset that is willing to put the whole neighborhood in jeapordy by firing a "non lethal" shot. The only way to do that, . . . is carry a "non lethal" gun, . . . you know, . . . shoots water or a flag that says bang.

Non lethal shots are for Gunsmoke, Wyatt Erp, the Lone Ranger and the Ponderosa. Real life guns are for shooting to stop, . . . and that usually means dead. If you are not willing to use it that way, . . . sell the gun and quit putting me and my life in jeapordy by your foolishness.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 14, 2007, 08:56 AM   #10
RocketFoot

I've often thought about this scenario...especially while CC'ing. If me or my family were being directly threatened...no brainer, I would draw and fire if possible. If I were a distant witness, I'm am not sure I would intervene. I have heard tons of "hero" stories that backfired and make the good Samaritan the bad guy.

Member: Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Old July 14, 2007, 09:27 AM   #11
Michael Anthony

The article doesn't say who he was shooting at or if anyone got hurt. The slight bit of humor is between two of the witnesses they can give you a complete description of the car and hazard a guess at the caliber based on sound, but no one knows what the guy looked like.

Are shootings becoming more common or are we just hearing more about them due to media?

[edit: I just realized maybe I'm hearing more about them because I'm a newer firearms enthusiast]
Old July 14, 2007, 01:09 PM   #12
The Tourist

"you must be feeling threatened all the time."

That's not exactly correct, but I do deliberately concentrate on being in 'condition yellow' more of the time recently.

Madison, Wisconsin has had a spurt in late night muggings and fights near our student bar area. Our hip-hop clubs have always had trouble. This is significant because we have always been a safe town. We prided ourselves on the situation where we could walk anywhere at just about any time of day.

However, it appears that when one area spikes in crime, all other areas seem to change as well.

As this is written, the authorities are investigating a CSI style murder and body dump. That's a long way from a happy hour shoving contest.

My own little nearby community had it's first murder in 17 years. 'Tagging' has increased with the emblems of Chicago gangs. My wife reports that there are more weapons seizures at our high school than ever before.

In short, the conditions that many of you have tolerated in larger urban areas are booming here in Madison within a very short time.

As for daylight hours in Wally World type stores, yes, we even now have a history of attacks and child snatches.

Clearly, I believe that if you hide in your home you are surrendering to that element. But this is not the happy-go-lucky suburban climate of "Leave It To Beaver" anymore. Many people still act like it is. It has been harder than hell to first get my wife to carry pepper-spray even after a rifle was found at her school. We're going to have to make some adjustments.
Old July 14, 2007, 01:17 PM   #13
PTR 91

I think I would have just laughed it off. But if he ever came remotely close to pointing his gun in my direction I would blast him.
Old July 14, 2007, 01:44 PM   #14
Thunderhawk88

Turn around, go back to the sporting goods area, and pick up some more ammo.
Taking cover would be the best action based on the info at hand. There just wasn't enough info to go be to decide if this guy was good guy/bad guy, victim or perp. Whatever you do, just make sure you and yours are safe first!
Old July 14, 2007, 01:51 PM   #15
littlmak

My thoughts would have been, 1 try to be invisible. 2 use my cell phone camera / have walmart print them out on the spot and give them to leo's. No other action by me unless the shooter turned in our direction.
Old July 14, 2007, 01:53 PM   #16
Wildalaska

Quote:
I think I would have just laughed it off. But if he ever came remotely close to pointing his gun in my direction I would blast him.
wHAT IF HE WAS AN UNDECOVER OFFICER engaging a target, and then he turns in your direction to engage another target you cant see.

WildstopwiththemachosillinessAlaska
Old July 14, 2007, 01:58 PM   #17
Wildalaska

Quote:
2 use my cell phone camera / have walmart print them out on the spot and give them to leo's.
Id sell a copy to the media

WildmercenaryAlaska
Old July 14, 2007, 02:05 PM   #18
ZeSpectre

Pull back, observe, report.

Keep others from exiting into the parking lot (if possible, some people are just too stupid to save).
Old July 14, 2007, 02:09 PM   #19
PTR 91

Well I'm not going to stand there and get shot. Also if he's shooting then his cover is probably blown and he will identify himself. Who knows how one will react in this situation, I realy would find cover behind a car. Now back to the point if the guy is a bad guy and not a cop and he is pointing a gun at me the lead is going to fly.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:12 PM   #20
PJW001

observer only

Clearly not enough info to make a call however based on the very basic info:
-1st get to cover
-2nd take down shooters and cars description & license plate
-cell phone photos would be helpful to LEO (& possibly profitable as mentioned above by WA)
-Call 911
-Would not follow shooters car or engage shooter in any way
Thats it, shooter has not fired in observers direction, heck they did not even know what the hell he was shooting at.
Old July 14, 2007, 03:29 PM   #21
gak1

Quote:
Drewbuddy-"draw down on the sob, order him to drop his weapon and then order him onto the ground until the proper authorities arrive. if he turns to fire, one carefully, non-lethal shot. that of course being in self defense. ...or you could try the charging route if your not comfortable drawing down on him. tackle him. disarm and then detain"
Wow, I wouldn't be able to pull that off and live to tell about it./Salute
Old July 14, 2007, 09:45 PM   #22
drewbuddy

the part about drawing down, ordering him to disarm and lie face down in the dirt i could do. firing the non-lethal shot... probably not so much. i've been trained to shoot center of mass every time. that's where i would be aiming. being a hypothetical scenario, i gave a hypothetical answer.

anyone that has been properly trained on manning an armed check point, and dealing with inbound hostiles should be able to at least take charge of the situation. either lethally or non-lethally.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:23 PM   #23
mattro

wow drewbuddy !!! :barf:

Quote:
if he turns to fire, one carefully, non-lethal shot. that of course being in self defense.

or you could try the charging route if your not comfortable drawing down on him. tackle him. disarm and then detain.
I am not trying to slam you, but WOW you need to rethink self defense with a firearm. Get a good book, any book, and read it.

Start with Principles Of Personal Defense by Jeff Cooper, then some of Massad F. Ayoob books, and Ralph Mroz.

If you are truly convicted that you can shoot to wound and not lethaly, you are deadly mistaken. When you shoot, you shoot the biggest mass of flesh presented to you EVERYTIME, and repeatedly until it ceases to be a threat.

Don't take my word for it, take a class, read a book. That is a huge hurdle to get past in being prepared to protect yourself and others.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:39 PM   #24
mattro

what would I have done??

I would have drawn and started quickly moving towards the shooter, while trying to maintain cover (cars). When within a tactical handgun range, I would yell at shooter to make sure he not a leo, once determined he is not a leo, and no innocent bystanders in my way (or behind him), and he does not immediately cease his threat toward me or others, I would empty my magazine into him. If he got away, I would do everything to follow him in my vehicle and use cell phone to lead police to him.

I know, here comes the John Wayne remarks...

I dont see it as ego, I see it as duty. I don't like it, and I hope I never have to answer that duty. But, I feel that being a MAN, and having a gun, and being well trained to use the gun; it is my duty to protect the lives of anyone from an evil person wanting to do them serious bodily harm or death.

Notice I said 'I feel'. I did not say other people are wrong if they feel otherwise.

I could not live with myself sitting back and being a good witness while someone's mother, daughter or son is being murdered, when I could have stopped it.

I would follow him, because he needs to be taken off the street.
Old July 14, 2007, 10:41 PM   #25
oldironman

drewbuddy wasn't talking about himself you dummies. He thought he was in the forum where you review the latest Bruce Willis movie. Good review Drew