The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 25, 2015, 09:03 PM   #26
CarJunkieLS1

Snyper you are 100% correct the bullet placement it what caused it to "blow up" if it had been a double lung I'm sure it would've exited. It did kill the deer, but for future hunts she will be shooting a controlled expansion bullet. Is it necessary NOPE but extra insurance doesn't hurt.
Old January 26, 2015, 06:55 AM   #27
Snyper

Quote:
(Ag permit farmers around here recruit people to shoot the deer)
That's illegal in most places
Old January 26, 2015, 08:50 PM   #28
reynolds357

I am glad I do not live in most places. Sounds like most places is a terrible place to live. It is legal here so long as the paperwork is in order. DNR comes and either hauls off the deer or authorizes the farmer to bury them.

Last edited by reynolds357; January 26, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old January 27, 2015, 04:26 AM   #29
Geezerbiker

I could see myself spending winters in Alabama or Georgia. One of my Kinfolk was Governor of AL way back when...

It's not likely to happen but if I win the lottery, I now know where my winter home will be...

Tony
Old January 27, 2015, 07:17 AM   #30
trapper9260

That is a nice eating deer.That is the main thing I like eating them also.Keep it up and if a buck dose show it it is only a bonus.
Old January 27, 2015, 07:39 AM   #31
TimSr

Congratulations Mrs. Carjunkie! My proudest trophy mount is a doe because of the efforts I put into taking her. Hopefully this is teh first of many more. When my son got his first deer (button buck) we had it munted as well. Memories for a lifetime.

I'm a big fan of controlled expansion bullets. Many times they are unnecessary, but using them will not exactly drive you to the poor house when you fire a single shot in the season, and theres nothing wrong with a little insurance for those occasional entrance through bone shots. I've never recovered a Nosler Partition or a Speer Grand Slam, but I like what they leave behind. They expand as easily as anythng else, its just llimited. Nothing worng with trying to change something that you see and don't like. I've made several "corrections" in my ammo choices through the years based on experiences like these.

Happy Hunting!