The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Barnacle Brad

Processing day - at last

I took my grindings out of the freezer last night and tallied up the weight in anticipation of firing up the grinder tomorrow. All tolled, there is about 180lbs of meat to grind. Venison, pork and beef. When it is done, I will have fifty five lbs of burger and seventy lbs of sausage - 5 varieties. My partner gets the remainder.

Fun day tomorrow, hangin with the boys, sampling sausage and some new Flathead Cherry wine. It's good!
Old December 6, 2014, 07:11 AM   #2
Mobuck

We haven't done the "assembly line" processing binge yet. Weather and Son's work schedule have postponed us but it's coming up soon. Last year we had 5 deer ready to skin and cut and did a marathon session over a single 3 day weekend.
Not going to be quite that much this year as our freezers are mostly full already. Only have room for about 50# of burger and whatever backstraps plus maybe 60-70# of meat sticks(before smoking). That's 4 deer tops and maybe just 3. Hard to tell since muzzle loaders aren't all that conducive to neck shots.
Old December 6, 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
huntinaz

Awesome. I only got about 20 lbs of grind off the little coues buck I just shot. Luckily we got about 100lbs of grind from my wife's cow elk
Old December 6, 2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Barnacle Brad

Kudos on the elk! We got started this morning about 9:30 and finished cleanup about 6:30pm with minimal breaks. What a day! Good to have it done though. My favorite was a maple sausage we tried for the first time and the garlic sausage, another first. Glad to have the larder full again. Good eats!