The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 5, 2014, 09:30 PM   #1
Blindstitch

Super Dog

I was out hunting pheasants today and I kicked up a bird, shot and it went down alive. I chased it into cattails where I was about 3 feet from it but it kept moving so I decided to ask a hunter with a dog if he could help me.

I got there and he was searching for a bird too. I guess the new to hunting dog decided he was going to hide the bird. I found that bird and another hunter joined us for finding my bird.

Quickly the dog was in and across 70 yards of cattails and found my bird and killed it. Wouldn't bring it back so I had to go get him.

With two birds in the bag we went on to the super part. The three of us were hunting a stretch of field and the dog took off behind us and ran hard to the corner of the property. He flushed a bird in our direction landing 50 yards away. The three of us moved in on the bird and the dog came back in and flushed it for us. Two of us shot and the bird was gone.

The dog ran 250+ yards across a field and flushed the bird back to us. We were moving in on the bird and here comes super dog closing in fast and grabs the bird by the back and kills it.

Examining the bird it had a bald patch on the back like i'm good for doing but the kid was so excited that he finally shot a bird I made him think it was all him but really it was super dog.

30 minutes later the dog ran way ahead of us and treed a pheasant and started howling/barking. We closed in on the noise listening to the bird cackle at the dog. It was swampy and I told the kid get ready and move fast and seconds later the bird was out of the tree and the kid shot it quick and it went down.

Wasn't bad for a 4 bird day amongst strangers. Thank you super dog.
Old December 5, 2014, 09:40 PM   #2
Bella

I am glad you had good hunting experience. Yes, hunting with birds is fun. But a dog flushing birds 250 yards away isn't right.
Old December 6, 2014, 11:39 AM   #3
buck460XVR

Having bird dogs all my life, I'd have a hard time even considering hunting pheasants without a dog. My three year old GWP is really coming into her own and hunting behind her is more fun than pulling the trigger on the birds we flush. Competed in a fund raising hunt Thursday morning with three other friends and one other dog. Towards the end I didn't even consider shooting. Seemed her working in front of me and finding the majority of the birds, I was getting all the shooting. Birds were sitting so tight and she was pointing so hard, I'd call one of the other hunters with us to shoot. She got a lotta
"good girl" and head pats that day.

As good as she is, she wasn't always so good. As a one year old she too liked to chase running birds. She run them all the way to the end of the corn row and all you could do is listen to them cackle and watch them fly away in the distance. Last year she was much better, stayed closer without coaching, would hold on running birds but would hard mouth birds and not like to bring them back without chewin' on them for a while. This year she is all business and once she finds the dead bird, she brings it back, drops it and goes right back to hunting. If the other guy's dog was new to the sport, one cannot complain about the way it hunts, but appreciate the dogs enthusiasm. First coupla times on the ice, Wayne Gretzky wasn't a star either.
Old December 6, 2014, 09:15 PM   #4
Blindstitch

buck460XVR,
That's great to hear you have a good dog and gave everyone a chance at a bird.

I have never had a bird dog. When I was a kid I had a rabbit beagle but it didn't want anything to do with birds.

I use to shoot quite a bit of grouse in Northern Michigan all by myself so I guess I got use to it. If I was allowed to have a dog in my apartment I would have one.

Last year I shot 14 pheasants. Only two or 3 with dogs. Sometimes I got lucky and someone with a dog wanted company.

This year I shot 9 pheasants and a quail and got lucky twice now seeing someone in the field with a dog willing to try to find my dead bird. I always thank the people thoroughly because these days it seems like less and less people are willing to help a random stranger.