The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 04:20 PM   #1
BillCnKC

S&W 500 Bone Collector and DE .50AE

All--

I have read a lot of discussion about the S&W 500 and the fifty caliber Desert Eagle. Although the only thing I hunt is paper, I can certainly appreciate the superiority of the .500 for folks that hunt more substantial game . . . especially bears. Long ago, on a forum far away, a few folks actually promoted the DE as a bear gun despite its well-known tendency to jam in the hands of the inexperienced. The secret to smooth operation of the big pistol is proper grip; one that allows the slide timing to function correctly by avoiding limp-wristing. Another secret to safe operation of the Desert Eagle is to leave it in the safe when you go bear hunting with a hand gun.

I said all that just to post a picture of my two favorite hand guns . . .

--Bill
Old April 17, 2013, 06:23 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

nice looking guns there...
Old April 17, 2013, 06:55 AM   #3
'88Scrat

Is that a Desert Eagle of the Black Chrome variety? I wanted my own Desert Eagle to be that cool Black Chrome but alas when I bought mine Magnum Research had quit making that finish and I went with Brushed Chrome instead.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
BillCnKC

88Scrat--

Yes, it is black chrome. MRI did a poor job marketing the finish. Their photos were of poor quality and held no clue as to the reflectivity of the finish. Eventually, I became acquainted with one of their top techs. When he finally convinced me the finish was exactly like chrome, only black, I pulled the trigger, returned my black oxide machine and had MRI handle the black chrome with titanium gold accents finish. It has held up exceedingly well over the years. (The original gun was purchased and then refinished in 2003.)

--Bill
Old April 17, 2013, 12:17 PM   #5
nanewt02

That sir is a sexy 500 magnum
Old April 17, 2013, 01:08 PM   #6
'88Scrat

Do you know if it is possible to obtain a Desert Eagle in Black Chrome from MRI anymore or do you have to have them refinish a matte black one. My current Eagle is .44/.50 but I would like to have one in .357 and BC would be my prefered finish.
Old April 17, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
BillCnKC

88Scrat--

MRI discontinued the black chrome finish years ago reportedly due to quality control problems with their vendor. (I have forgotten the name.) A Google search on "black chrome plating" yields many potential sources.

--Bill
Old April 18, 2013, 06:00 AM   #8
BoogieMan

My powder coater sprays a candy black over chrome or polished ss, alum and it comes out a beautiful. Very popular on truck wheels. The powder he gets is polyester or epoxy base. I dont know how it would hold up to a firearm. Maybe there is a cerakote type candy black out there.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 18, 2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Aaron1100us

Re: S&W 500 Bone Collector and DE .50AE

Would love to have both. Always wanted a DE .50AE in Tiger Striped Gold just because. And a long barrel .500 S&W.