The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 19, 2010, 11:35 AM   #1
stacks04

picked up the hornady l n' l

last night. i am getting to the point in my loading where is am looking for some speed now. i unpacked the unit last night to find some nice suprises. from all my reading i was under the impression the unit came fairly bare, only minimum essentials. i was wrong. i did buy the desired shell plate, but was pleased to find the kit came with both powder measure bores and a powder measure baffle. not a huge deal but nice because it saves me some money and time waiting for them.

i am cleaning them with cleaner, but am lubing them with a gm "dri slide lubricant". i know hornady pushes their stuff, but cabelas did not have it last night. the gm stuff is labeled as a "special blend of molybdenum disulfide, graphite and corrosion inhibitors in a mineral spirits blend. it has a high load carrying capacity, excellent corrosion properties and metal to metal wear protection. the mineral spirit blend, when applied, evaporates to leave a semi dry film that will not attract dust and dirt."

you all think that will work as the dry lube needed? it is jet black and leaves a nice film of graphite. i have used many times on things, but dont want to ruin my new powder measure. thanks joe
Old January 19, 2010, 01:53 PM   #2
Doby45

Sounds like what you have done will work fine. Personally, I use a new dryer sheet. Makes the powder measure smell spring fresh too.