The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 12, 2013, 01:23 PM   #1
USMC_Cpl-Latten

Traded Mosin for Steyr, Did I get ripped off?

i just recently traded my Budapest Steyr M95, for a Mosin Nagant, and im not sure if i got ripped off or not? at the time of trade, i hadnt done much research on either as far as value is concerned. i just knew that my budapest was in immaculate condition, and only the front plate on the internal magazine was mismatched, but all other serial numbers matched.however, the cost of ammunition for it seemed impractical for how often i shoot. the Mosin is in less than perfect condition cosmetically, but functions flawlessly, and several parts are mismatched serial numbers. so, did i get ripped off, or was it a fairly even trade?
Old October 16, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
raven11

when i bought my Steyr M95 it was $100 so in my opinion it was a fair trade, i have no idea what they go for now
Old October 16, 2013, 03:18 PM   #3
JHansenAK47

The steyr M95 is one of those oddballs that really isn't all that great IMO. The 8x56r ammo that has to be used in conjunction with a clip otherwise it's a singleshot is a pain to even find. The mosin is a better rifle IMO because A it uses easy to find in both new and surplus ammo and B doesn't need the clip. Being mismatched isn't a problem as long as the barrel is in good shape and has good headspace with the bolt. I think in practical terms you have the better rifle to go shoot.
Old October 16, 2013, 07:36 PM   #4
MikeG

Any Mosin Nagant would be a decent trade, but I'm curious. What model of Mosin did you get?
Old October 17, 2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The normal way of doing things is to figure out before you make the trade whether it's a good trade or not.

If you're happy with the trade, then I'd say no, you didn't get ripped off.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 19, 2013, 05:50 AM   #6
bill-may

i paid $119.97 for my steyr m95 3 days ago. i have bought 5 MN M91-30 and 7 MN T53 carbines. i want to get into hand loading and the steyr M95 will push me there at about $1.25 each 8X56R while the 3 spam cans of 440 rds each were $69 each a year ago for my MN's. i have paid more for .22LR for my 56 yr old mossberg 152 22LR than my MN ammo.
Old October 19, 2013, 08:43 PM   #7
tahunua001

I could have sworn I replied to this thread.
strictly speaking from a monetary standpoint, you got the short end on the stick but I wouldn't say that you got completely swindled. your M95 was probably grazing the lower end of $300 while the mosin nagant you got is only worth around $125 or so. however looking at extended cost to feed, surplus ammo for the mosin nagant is much more affordable than even reloads for 8x56R and you wont have to worry about the cost of replacing lost or worn out enblocs like you would with the M95.

both have stiff bolts and in my experience about equally accurate.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Ibmikey

I am a bit confused, the trade was made and now you want uninvolved persons to say you did good/bad? Take the Mosin out and shoot it then if you do not like the rifle sell or trade it for something else. Is that logical?
Old October 19, 2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Slamfire

So, having regrets?

Such is life.
Old October 22, 2013, 03:27 PM   #10
Yankee Doodle

My old horsetrader Dad used to tell me that "any deal that both parties walk away from happy, is a good deal."
That should answer your question.
Old October 23, 2013, 06:25 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

Looks like he's not coming back any time soon to see the responses...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.