The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 19, 2015, 11:29 AM   #1
Poconolg

Power Pistol in a 40

I was wondering if anyone has ever used hard cast 170 and 155 bullets in a 40s&w with Power Pistol powder. If so how did they do? I was also told that HC-38 and Win 231 are very similar. Is this true?
Old April 19, 2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Nick_C_S

Hodgdon HP-38 and Winchester 231 are the exact same propellant - right down to the lot number, in many cases (verified).

I have not tried Power Pistol using lead slugs in 40 S&W. But what I do know is that PP is a highly energetic powder and runs hot, so to speak - not good for lead. You would want a less energetic powder, like HS-6. HS-6 is well known for running well with lead (if you don't under load it - but that's another thread).

You mention HP-38/W231. Either one of those would work well with lead slugs in 40 S&W; although, they would be at modest target shooting type velocities.
Old April 19, 2015, 07:24 PM   #3
Shotgun Slim

Tried Power Pistol in the 40 a couple of years back as I worked my way through many different powders (before THE SHORTAGE) looking for specific performance for my needs. Put it under a 175 lead swc from SNS. Did not like the sharp recoil,as compared to other powders,nor the noisy blast or leading it caused. Gave most of the pound away and would not buy it again. This is not to say the stuff is no good- just too many objections for my usage. You are most likely on a better track with the HP38/231. Think also about Hodgdon Universal Clays, Accurate #5 and 7 and even Unique for your 40. When you can get it! Good luck and safe shooting
Old April 20, 2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Jay24bal

I agree with the other folks that it may be a little hot for a lead bullet.

I use Power Pistol for my 160 gr. FMJ bullets, and it sure is hot (and throws quite the flame as well), but it is also a great load in my 40.

I did try it with a couple lead bullets, and the leading was excessive, I since went to Unique when I want to load lead bullets for the 40.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old April 20, 2015, 03:58 PM   #5
TMD

My pet load for .40 S&W is 180gn plated, both Rainier and Berry's with 6.0gr of Power Pistol. For lead slugs I've never tried 170 grain but have shot several thousand 180's using both Titegroup and Unique both with varying degrees of success.
Old April 20, 2015, 04:09 PM   #6
madmo44mag

I have used it with 165gr lead round nose and backed the chg down to 7.0 gr with good accuracy and function.
I have even load them to 7.8 and had minor barrel leading using lazer cast bullets