The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 27, 2008, 10:17 AM   #26
elrod

Rattlesnakes have one thing in common with guns......you don't need to play with them!
Old September 27, 2008, 01:31 PM   #27
Buzzcook

The rattlers around Goldendale would be the common Western Rattlesnake not a Diamondback.

Snakes go to a common den during hibernation and during mating iirc.

I don't like snakes, except for the eating part, even the various non-poisonous ones here in Western Washington give me the willys. Luckily for me the rattlers stay on the other side of the mountains.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:53 PM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The ones that count are with mouth wide agape and the 1/3rd is a minimum assumption...
A snake that is striking forward is not going to be able to strike much more than a third of its length (motion of the head from start to farthest extension). If you get one stretched out that turns and comes back along its length then it can "strike" farther.

Messing around with poisonous snakes isn't a good idea, even experts get bitten. I've been around snakes all my life--when it comes to the dangerous ones I either kill them or leave them entirely alone.
Old September 27, 2008, 02:59 PM   #29
HiBC

We have plenty around here.
I also know folks who never see them.
There is a hiking trail nearby.Walking on a summer evening,I can expect buzzing on the edge of the trail.They are waiting for a bunny or something.Mountain bikers whiz by unaware.
Prairie dog towns often have them.
Unless they are in a place where they pose a danger,I leave them alone.They belong.

And,realize the medical problems can be very severe.A bite on the hand might mean having your arm opened up to the armpit,and all your muscle sheaths sliced open so your arm looks like something in a meat market.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:12 AM   #30
Chuck Acorn

Timber Rattler

Hello,
I'm a newbie here and just thought I'd post some pics I took last weekend of a timber rattler here in South West Pa.

And here is a link to a video clip of the same snake
Old May 24, 2009, 12:51 AM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Nice camera work on the stills and vid! I can't guess his size but I hear they don't normally compare in length and girth to our eastern diamond backs but I may be wrong...

I will say that black head and distinct eye brows give a real sinister look...
I also didn't see him worryin' to rattle and warn ya none!
Brent
Old May 24, 2009, 01:08 AM   #32
Swampghost

Why am i getting hungry? The largest one that I've seen was an Eastern Diamondback that went a tad over 11 ft. It was found during a motocross race that I happened to be participating in at the Palm Beach track. The paper photo showed 5 guys holding it.

Consider that they can strike half of their body length, this was one wicked SOB.

Now we have REALLY scary. Really huge snakes that people have turned loose. There was a guy on the tube last week who said that we can expect the really big ones in 5-10 yrs. I know how to deal with everything in my neck of the woods but am finding giant snakes, capable of swallowing you a bit intimidating.

Can things get worse? Yes they can! According to my sources in SoAm their food value is zip. I've always wondered why Publix never had Python or Boa specials.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:24 AM   #33
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

SG, That would have passed the record by a full 2.5-3 feet... I am not sure the elusive 8 foot diamond back has been nabbed and verified yet.
Brent
Old May 24, 2009, 02:54 AM   #34
jgcoastie

The only good snake is a dead snake.... Especially rattlers!!!

Just one more reason to love Alaska...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:09 AM   #35
ChicagoTex

Quote:
Just one more reason to love Alaska...
Surely the irony of the fact that you live in Kodiak, Alaska as you say that is not lost on you?
Old May 24, 2009, 11:27 AM   #36
banditt007

i ate rattle snake a couple times and it was infact nice tasting meat! if anyone does bag these things i'd suggest not just leaving them lay... waste of life. skin n eat em you'll be pleasantly surprised. Nice photos BTW
Old May 24, 2009, 01:57 PM   #37
OLNfan

Damn IM glad to live in Canada. too much snow for those suckers to want to come near me! I could just imagen how painfull a bite is! when I seen that pic of that 30+ in a big hole I just wanted to unleash mayhem of 0 buck shot in there!! I hate snakes longer than my arm. Biggest snake I'v seen is a gardner snake haha. I could never live in a desert climate.
"Dear Governor Axtell. I've heard that you will give 200 dollars for my head. Perhaps we should meet and talk. I am at the Juarez village at the border. Send 3 men, and instruct them not to shoot, as I am unarmed. In short, Sir; I surrender. Your obedient servant William H. Bonney. PS: I changed my mind. Kiss my ass."

Last edited by JohnKSa; May 24, 2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: .
Old May 24, 2009, 02:07 PM   #38
hoytinak

Quote:
The only good snake is a dead snake....
and don't forget after you kill it it's goes on the dinner plate.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:56 PM   #39
cornbush

When I lived in S.E. Idaho we had a problem with some of the local kids going out and catching rattlers and cutting off the rattles and letting the snake go again. The only thing worse than buzzing at your feet is NO buzzing. The local cattlemen found out who was doing it and had a polite talk with them after a few cows and horses got hit. We never "hunted" for snakes, but we came accross them quite often. They are great on the grill. Peel the skin off, get rid of the guts and throw them on the grill whole. We found the best medicine for snakes was a stick and a shovel. We would pin down the head with the stick and cut it off with the shovel, then we would bury the head.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:33 PM   #40
alloy

Wow great pics, i see timber rattlers around here frequently but nothing like these pictures, mostly around 2 feet long, maybe occasionally a 3 foot rattler.
Occasionally(rarely) i'll run across a small copperhead.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:23 PM   #41
Buzzcook

Swampghost, I saw a documentary that mentioned South Americans eating boas.

Here's an article about the pythons
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0812213816.htm

Last edited by Buzzcook; May 25, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added link