The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 29, 2000, 01:47 AM   #1
Mylhouse

Greetings.
My good friend carries for CCW a G26 w/Trijicons, Pearce extended floorplates, all in a Galco Royal Guard. Anyway, he has the Pearce extensions on both carry mags. He got them at Glockmeister (we live in metro Phoenix near the shop). One of them is the standard with the indentation on the bottom of the floorplate (like as if you stuck your thumbprint against it, making an impression), and it holds 10. The other is also a Pearce, but the bottom is flat rather than recessed, and it allows him to stuff 12 rounds in the mag. It doesn't say anything about +2 anywhere on the floorplate. He tried to get more, but that was the last one they had. So now I'm curious.

1) Since the 26 mags AREN'T preban (to my knowledge), is it illegal for him to have 12 in the one mag?
2) Are these floorplates still available? If so, where do you get them?

If I could get a similar set-up, I would strongly consider getting a Glock 26 for carry, even though I'm not a huge Glock fan. 13 rounds of high performance 9mm GS's in that small of a package would be hard to resist. (I currently carry a P7M8 with 115gr Fed 9BPLE +P+)
Old July 29, 2000, 02:20 AM   #2
9x19

In addition to the extension for the model 26, Pearce makes a mag extension for the Glcok 27 that is a plus one style, allowing the 9 round factory mags to be converted to 10. It sounds like your friend has one of each.

BATF's rule (which is used to support the law), resulting from the Crime Bill of 1994 states that it is illegal to make "high capacity ammunition feeding devices" after 9/94.

This also applies to modifying a post ban mag, if you convert it to hold more than 10 rounds. Pearce states this on their website at www.pearcegrip.com/glock27.htm

Of course, you only pay if you get caught, but... is it worth it if you do?

------------------
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!

[This message has been edited by 9x19 (edited July 29, 2000).]
Old July 29, 2000, 01:23 PM   #3
Mylhouse

Thanks, 9x19. You couldn't have answered my question any better than you did.
Old July 29, 2000, 03:11 PM   #4
sleeping dog

Will a G19 or G17 magazine fit in the 26? Would that be illegal combination if they held more than 10? Is there a sleeve-like device that will make the combo look good?

Regards
Old July 29, 2000, 04:44 PM   #5
9x19

sleeping dog,

Putting an unrestricted magazine of more-than-10-rounds capacity in a gun is fine, regardless of when the gun was made or what type mags it was sold with.

It is the post-ban (9/94) magazine itself that cannont be made to hold more than 10 rounds, not the gun.

------------------
Make mine lean, mean, and 9x19!