The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 14, 2013, 06:19 PM   #1
customf1

Benelli Legacy Sport 12 GA 28in barrel - opinions

I am thinking of buying a Benelli Legacy Sport 12 GA - 28 in Barrel and wanted to get some of your valued opinions on it. I will mainly use it to shoot trap. I held it today and it fit perfectly. I like that fact that its light 7.5 lbs which I know is contuary to what a trap gun is supposed to be which is "heavy". I have been using my Mossberg 500 to shoot trap and its about the same weight and LOP as the legacy sport . I wanted to treat myself to a nice engraved gun that feels good and still have the consistently to shoot in the low 20's as I currently do with Mossberg. I do not expect to get into competitive trap shooting. At this particular time the legacy seems just right for me. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old February 14, 2013, 07:00 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Good gun, well made -for trap you might want to consider a 30" barrel if they offer one -helps with the swing dynamics.

No matter which one, a trip to the pattern steel to see where it hits in relation to where you are pointing is in order. Some guns "float" targets, some do not.

And you are correct, a heavy gun will help with recoil reduction - the enemy of target shooters. Do yourself a favor and shoot the lightest loads that will work the gun - it will save you money and recoil pain
Old February 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #3
BigJimP

As long as it "Fits" which means " it hits where you look " .....so you have to verify point of impact / shoot a full choke at 21 yds or so ..../ and it will be fine.

For casual Trap - or skeet - or sporting clays ....its fine.

The reason most of us want a heavier gun for "Trap" ....is there is less, left to right barrel movement - in Trap ...than the other clay target games. So for Trap specifically ....we go to a heavier gun and a longer gun ...like a Browning Citori XT - in 32" barrels and around 10 lbs.../ the extra weight helps us keep momentum as we swing and smooth out the follow thru on our Trap shots. The extra length gives us a little longer sight plane....

For Skeet, Sporting..and field shooting ....most of us go to guns between 7.5 and 8.5 lbs...and 28" or 30" barrels. Personally I like an O/U in the 30" barrels and 8.5 lb range ( but I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs too ) ...my buddy who is 5'10" and 185 lbs likes a 26" or 28" gun around 7.5 lbs....so everybody is a little different....

Nothing wrong with the Benelli Legacy model ...although I prefer the SuperSport model with the comfort tech system in it.../ I hope you enjoy it !
Old February 18, 2013, 01:07 PM   #4
customf1

Thanks after further research I ended up getting a mint Remington 1100 Classic Trap with 30 in barrel. Thanks for the advice and comments.

Last edited by customf1; February 18, 2013 at 01:35 PM.