The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 11, 2012, 06:49 PM   #26
Metal god

yea not bad . With a quick search I can't find it for less then $900 .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 11, 2012, 07:11 PM   #27
howabouttheiris

" I get 48 clicks "

Pretty close to my number 50 that I pulled from my a**.... but enough that you miss by 3.5" at 700 yards. (2 clicks = 0.5 moa * 7 = 3.5")

The difference is probably the 200 yard number. If you get a 2" drop at 200 yards, that would be 4 clicks (not 2) and then numbers are the same. 48 clicks.

The main lesson is that the distance that you zero at does not "reset" the yardage to 0. ie the (700-200) was the source of the error. The math is actually (dope for 700 - dope for 200) or (52 clicks - 4 clicks) = 48 clicks.

Remember moa is really an angle, not any set distance... it just happens to be very close (within ~4%) of 1" at 100 yds.
Old December 11, 2012, 08:49 PM   #28
arizona98tj

Quote:
Ok Im understanding this better but I think some of the optics Im looking at may not be suited to exactly what I want. I want something I can use to hunt with and also use at the range to ring a gong, nothing smaller will probably be needed.
You could hunt and shoot at the range with something like this. The zero stop shims go under the elevation turret....remove the hex screws (3 of them), pull the knob straight up, insert shims, replace knob with 0 aligned, put the screws back in. I personally prefer mil/mil rather than inch calibrated optics. Don't dismiss mildot optics until you do some more research on them. Just sayin'......

Old December 11, 2012, 09:12 PM   #29
pabuckslayer08

What scope is that exactly
Old December 11, 2012, 09:17 PM   #30
arizona98tj

That is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil. You can see some more photos in my Savage 10 FCP HS review. The review also has some photos of the first scope I had on my Savage, a Bushnell Elite 4200.

Old December 13, 2012, 12:12 PM   #31
wvscotsman

I have been lurking for a while. I am seriously looking at a long range setup. I have pretty much settled on the savage Model 12 FCP-K in 308 win. I am leaning towards the leupold tactical scope. I had a Savage rifle i traded for. Did not keep it for long i didnt like the shorter barrel set up on it. HOWEVER; several things blew me away about this rifle. First the accutrigger was awesome. Second, savages customer service was fantastic. I got the gun without the accutrigger tool or a manual. They sent me all that stuff for free.

Arizona that is a kick ass setup. That is really close to what I am aiming for. I have made shots hunting out as far as 300 yards but I am really curious to test my metal at distances out to 1000 yards.
Old December 13, 2012, 01:23 PM   #32
Metal god

wvscotsman : welcome to TFL . Did you mean model 10 fcp-k and not Model 12 . I just bought the model 10 but have not shot it yet . I still need glass for it and Im looking at the Vortex viper PST http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle The only problem is that scope cost more then the rifle . I have a Ruger American I've been wanting better glass for . I may just buy a Nikon buckmaster or a Vortex crossfire 2 for the Ruger but put it on the new Savage till I can afford the viper . I want to go shoot my new gun but just don't have an extra 1k to spend right now .

Arizona : I love that cheek rest idea . I think Im going to get me one of those . I'm also looking for a heavy duty bi-pod with notched legs . I was looking at harris anybody got others to look at

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 13, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 04:19 PM   #33
wvscotsman

Yep got my numbers mixed up.
In my limited experience with something that you are going to shoot long distance the ratio of money spent on the gun versus the glass tends to run that way.

What caliber did you go with metal?
Old December 13, 2012, 04:23 PM   #34
wvscotsman

That scope looks awesome!!! Its cheaper than the Leupold also. Anyone have some firsthand experience with this glass?
Old December 13, 2012, 04:31 PM   #35
Metal god

Got it in 308 . Right now I want to stick with calibers I already have . My american is 308 and Im looking for a semi auto in 308 as well . It's a good universal round with many manufacturers and prices to chose from .

Thats the scope on Arizona's gun for the most part . his has a little less mag

Old December 13, 2012, 04:52 PM   #36
wvscotsman

My little brother has a DPMS LR 308. He loves it. He has a lot of rounds through it. Money is not really the deciding factor on what he buys and he has 3 AR15's made by DPMS.

I am going with the 308 for the availability and affordability of ammo. That and if we ever get into a SHTF scenario, I think that ammo would be easy to find.