The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 13, 2009, 10:58 PM   #1
patriotthad

Durability of fiber optics

I am considering mounting a HI-VIZ front sight on my Kimber Pro Carry. I have a Williams Fire Sight on my Mini-14 and love it. But, I have heard different "Horror stories" regarding fiber optics breaking, falling out ect. Does anyone have a FIRST HAND experience they would share?
Old October 13, 2009, 11:58 PM   #2
M_E_

I have not had any problems with them but I don't own any. However, my neighbor has a set on his Springfield 1911 HRT pistol. They break all too often he says. He IS an HRT Special Agent with the FBI. He is an armorer with them as well and replaces them regulary on the teams pistols. But they work great when they are good! They never had one fail on a mission as they have fired less than a dozen rounds while on a misson. They break when they practice fireing 5K rounds every year from each pistol.

I think you would be better off with night sights.
Old October 14, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
RickB

How horrible could it be? If the fiber falls out, replace it. It's not as if it takes the front sight with it. I have FO sights on three of my pistols, and the fiber came out of one of them, one time, after thousands of rounds. Some of them are definitely more robust than others. I'll take one that protects the fiber, so it is more likely to not come out, over some that try to expose the fiber for greater light tranmission but leave the fiber more exposed to knocks in the process.
Old October 14, 2009, 11:06 PM   #4
KMO

Quote:
If the fiber falls out, replace it.
RickB makes a good point. You can buy the FO tube material online through several suppliers. Cut off a short section, flatten the ends with a hot screwdriver or soldering iron, and you're good as new. I really like the Fire Sights by Williams...