The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2005, 01:29 AM   #1
xXStarScreamXx

Wierd Wildcat Round

I was over at my Grandpa's today and we were talking about his Ruber blackhawk and he showed me an extra cylinder he had. It was bored out to 44 magnum and he showed me a bullet, 44 necked down to .357 magnum. I looked at the case and it had a wierd plastic/rubber insert. He said the guy who made it, (it was in Guns and Ammo in the 70's in the SF Bay Area) had these little collars made so the cylinder could recieve the necked down cases better. Any one heard of this round? Anyone know where to get the little collars? They appear to be black plastic or rubber, very thin and cut to fit.

Weve looked at hardware stores to see if anything fits but no, we want to reload these rounds as he says they are a blast to shoot.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:46 AM   #2
m0ntels

http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/w35744bd.html

That's the first that comes to mind...

Randy
Old March 9, 2005, 03:12 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I remember the article, but I haven't a clue as to where to get the little shoulder collars. That was at least 25 years ago and the design a short-lived fad, if that. Yours is the first I have ever heard of in private hands. As David Woodruff the barrel reliner of that era said, wildcats are mostly good for magazine articles.

The idea was, since a bottleneck cartridge like the .357-44 B&D montels refers to tends to back out of its bottleneck chamber and bind cylinder rotation, to make the bottleneck portion of the chamber a separate piece.

A friend with a lathe and some delrin or nylon rod could make up a few without too much trouble, but I would hate to pay hourly rates for it.