The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2005, 04:43 PM   #1
jasonc84

Imr 4350?

I started loading (for my .270) a 150 gr. Nosler Balistic Tip and 51.8 gr. of IMR 4350. The Nosler manual said 52.0 gr. of H 4350 is the most accurate.
My load would shoot .65" 3 shot groups, i was pleased. After about 20 to 30 shots over a period of 6 months i noticed a lot of powder and copper fouling. It didn't gradually get bad it got bad fast after those 20 to 30 shots. I can clean the barrell as clean as it can get and after one shot, there is A LOT of copper and powder fouling. At first it didn't do that. It isn't as accurate now. Could the powder be bad? And is H 4350 any better than IMR 4350? Any other suggestions?

Thanks
Old February 28, 2005, 05:35 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

Whatcha cleaning with? Copper fouling is not necessarily visible. My guess is that there is enough residual copper fouling to greatly accelerate the process.

Do your regular cleaning process and follow up with Sweets. It's ammonia based and chemically reacts with copper. Patch will come out green if there is any remaining copper.
Old February 28, 2005, 07:00 PM   #3
Ackley Improved User

Try BORE FOAM by Gunslick!

Best copper remover I've come across is BORE FOAM cleaner by Gunslick - better than the other stuff. Give it a try, then shoot for groups.
Old February 28, 2005, 07:23 PM   #4
HankL

Jason, It might just be that you are going over max by around a grain of powder. IMR & H are not identical even in 4350.

Copper fouling tends to build up faster the quicker you push the loads down the barrel and you are pushing pretty quick. You are going to need to REALLY clean your bore and reduce your load a little.

Welcome aboard as well.

Hank
Old February 28, 2005, 07:26 PM   #5
bill k

I finally found Gunslick's foaming bore cleaner today and used it. I've been using IMR 4350 with nosler accubond bullets in my 300 and my accuracy has been inconsistant at best. Last night I ran at least 50 patches with isso bore cleaner and outers solvent. I thought I had it clean but when I put the foam in the barrel today the foam turned bright blue meaning copper residue. I'll shoot it tomorrow and let you know if copper build-up was my problem.
Old March 1, 2005, 10:30 AM   #6
jasonc84

Thanks for the reply's. I was doing regular cleaning during this time with Birchwood Casey Copper Remover. And i did try to reduce the load 2 grains but I didn't see any difference in the fouling. And accuracy went down the drain. Can you find that "Gunslick's Bore Foam" anywhere?
I'm thinking there is still copper in the barrel after I clean, speeding up the proccess like you said. The reason i thought it might be the powder is because I left the top off of the powder for 3 or 4 hours one day and thought it got moisture in it. But I keep it in a dry place so....
Old March 1, 2005, 10:51 AM   #7
bill k

The only place I found it was Wally World and ours just got it in. I bought the first two cans in the display.. I checked the internet, local sporting goods store, and all our firearm shops and wasn't able to find it there.
Old March 1, 2005, 11:46 AM   #8
jasonc84

I'll check in our Wal-Mart and see if they have it.
Another thing, i could clean the barrel so that it looked powder and copper free and shoot it once and it would be filthy. I can see the copper build-up at the end of the barrel and tons of powder in the barrel.
Old March 1, 2005, 01:48 PM   #9
bill k

I'm back from the range. Like the absent minded person I am I forgot my 300 ammo so no report on that. However my groups on my 7mm mag went from .7" last trip to .54" this trip. After 9 rounds my groups began to open up to the 1" range
I didn't notice any change in my 22-250 from last trip to this trip. This is after using the foaming bore cleaner on both. I think it helped my 7 mag quite a bit.
Old March 1, 2005, 02:16 PM   #10
jasonc84

How far does that Bore Foam go? Does it take alot to fill the barrel?
Old March 1, 2005, 02:43 PM   #11
bill k

If you're not carefull it shoots across the room and will hit you wife as I found out. Just a short 1 second burst and it comes out the barrel. I put a rag over the end of the barrel now to stop the mess. Cleaning a rifle takes me minutes instead of an hour.
Old March 1, 2005, 04:33 PM   #12
jasonc84

How many times do you have to fill the barrel with that stuff to get it clean?
Old March 1, 2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Tim R

JB's bore paste also makes for short work on cleaning copper.