The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 16, 2011, 11:03 AM   #1
cmdc

Range finder and ballistics app

Can anyone make a recommendation for a good range finder, and a ballistics app for iPhone?
Thanks
Old June 16, 2011, 12:34 PM   #2
9-ball

I use Strelok on my Android, I don't know if it exists for IPhone, but if it does, download it! It's free and genious.
Old September 10, 2011, 03:31 AM   #3
skeeter

Best range finder is the Swarovski by far then leica 1600 then Zeiss. Leupold and Bushnell are made in China crap with plastic lenses. They will work until the warranty is out then you will buy a Swarovski if you are smart.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:10 AM   #4
brmfan

Skeeter: Please provide a link or source that says the Leupold lenses are plastic. As for my RX-1000 TBR I've accurately and repeatedly ranged out to 920 yards, and it's been bounced around quite a bit on winter hunts and works just fine. Sure it's made in China, but even at 1/3 the price of a Swarovski it's hardly junk as you seem to imply.
Old September 29, 2011, 12:52 AM   #5
skeeter

brmfan-- I called up Leupold's tech line and was told this was true even of their top of the line RX-IV. Give them a call.
Plastic can be very high optical quality and have a hard coating it was just not what I was looking for.
I must add I was VERY disappointed as Leupold has a great reputation and their scopes are all made in the USA. I try very hard not to buy non American and especially made in China.
Maybe someone here can post a photo of China's new fleet of super aircraft carriers. They are beyond belief and make our newest carrier look old fashioned. They will be the new super power and maybe more-thanks to our American dollars going there.