The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
USSF

Ballistic Tips

I am relatively new to guns (just turned of age ) and my friend told me he had ballistic tip bullets. Can someone explain to me exactly whats so special about ballistic tips? Thanks.
Old February 28, 2005, 05:13 PM   #2
NFACurious

This topic would have been better to discuss in the general top area.

Depends on the gun. I'm sure its possible to make ballistic tips for any type of round available except for shotguns (scatter shot). Its usually found in rifle rounds tho.

A balistic tip round has a little plastic tip on it. They aid in the expansion of the bullet when they hit the target. Lemme try to find a picture for you.

The top picture should be a balistic tip .17hmr. The one below is a regular HP bullet in the same caliber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83170_17_HMR_V-MAX.jpg (22.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 83172_17_HMR_XTP.jpg (20.0 KB, 58 views)
Old February 28, 2005, 05:17 PM   #3
USSF

Thanks for the info, thats what I was thinking, just wanted to be sure.
Old February 28, 2005, 06:02 PM   #4

The name "Ballistic Tip" is a registered trademark of Nosler: http://www.nosler.com/balltipvarmint.html
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old February 28, 2005, 09:42 PM   #5
SpectreBlofeld

Interesting. I'd like to see some comparisons of these rounds vs. regular hollowpoints in action.
Old March 1, 2005, 12:50 PM   #6
Lycanthrope

Quote:
Interesting. I'd like to see some comparisons of these rounds vs. regular hollowpoints in action.
It varies alot between manufacturers and how fast you push them. For example the old Nosler Ballstic Tips would fragment easily in game from most rifles, but the newer ones hold together quite well.
Old March 1, 2005, 01:00 PM   #7
Crosshair

SpectreBlofeld

Ask and ye shal recieve. The Photo is a balistic tip vs a FMJ, but the performance of the hollow point is about halfway between the two. Look at the velocities too, not going to get that out of an M-16.

Old March 3, 2005, 11:36 PM   #8
Smokey Joe

Wow!

Now that, Crosshair, is what I call a convincing argument!

I'd thought the Nosler BT's were an improvement; now I'm sure of it. They are nice and accurate in the guns in which I've tried them.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 4, 2005, 12:33 AM   #9
Crosshair

Opps, I better note that the load I used for that photo is a wildcat load. The maximum that most reloading mauals use for IMR 4320 is 35.5 grains so 38 grains is really pushing it. I had a primer failure at 40 grains so be carefull. (Alway's have to push the limit. )
Old March 4, 2005, 11:36 AM   #10
bikenjam

It seems too that with a polymer tip on a bullet that the jacket can be thicker to handle higher velocities and faster twist rates and still fragement completly on impact. I like them for my AR-15 becuase the plastic tip doesn't deform in the chambering process like soft points.

i've only been of age for 1 year now as well. sure is a fun hobby, but its not very good for my wallet!
Old March 5, 2005, 11:17 AM   #11
Ackley Improved User

Nosler BT are great!

I've used Nosler BTs in .22, .257, .280, and .308 and of many different weights. They are the most accurate hunting bullets I've come across., and I've tried most everything. Besides they have very high ballistic coefficients with very high efficient velocity and energy retention. I've killed small game and elk with these bullets - they've never failed when I placed the bullet into a vital area. Go with them; you won't regret it.
Old March 5, 2005, 12:58 PM   #12
Sturm

USSF, 444 was correct. The name "Ballistic Tip" is a registered trademark of NOSLER. A plastic tip is used in the nose of the bullet, so it can have a more pointed shape as an aid in achieving a higher ballistic coeffecient. They have a thicker jacket for hunting bullets and a thinner jacket for those to be used in varmint loads, so a varmint bullet should never be used for any game larger than its intended purpose.
Old March 5, 2005, 09:19 PM   #13
JimM

Quote:
I've used Nosler BTs in .22, .257, .280, and .308 and of many different weights. They are the most accurate hunting bullets I've come across., and I've tried most everything.
I've had similar experience over several years using 165 gr. BT and 4350 powder in 30-06, with 150 gr. being close behind. Whitetail deer don't travel too far if I do my part.
Jim
Old March 6, 2005, 01:19 PM   #14
.308win

I use 110gr Hornady Vmax in my .308win. I load them to 3300fps. At 460 yds I opened up a groundhog so their performance is devastating to say the least.