The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 18, 2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Ruger480

How should this guy concealed carry?

This is how I dress for work most of the time. Shirt tucked in. That doesn't work for my IWB holster. My carry piece is a full size Witness. Any suggestions on how I can pull that off?
Old July 18, 2014, 11:22 AM   #2
BarryLee

There are some IWB holsters that claim you can tuck in your shirt and that the gun will not be noticeable. I have never actually seen one that works, but truthfully haven’t searched too much. I suppose you could explore the possibility of an ankle holster or maybe one of those holster type t-shirts.

Probably the best option is a pocket gun like the LCP or a J-Frame. I have carried both very easily while dressed in khakis or tailored dress pants.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 18, 2014, 11:25 AM   #3
BobCat45

Add a light sport coat. If someone asks about it, tell them you like having more pockets for your electronic gadgets.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:27 AM   #4
Doyle

Smartcarry. Great for relatively loose fitting dress clothes. It does, however, require a relatively small firearm.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Marty8613

A had this same problem. Bought a smaller gun to carry at work. Though there are tuckable holsters. I will be ordering a swap rig mini-tuck with plates for all three of my carry guns, just in case I can hide the witness at small of back.
Old July 18, 2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Skans

That's essentially how I dress. Pocket carry. I have seen some "cell-phone" type holsters, but none impress me too much. However, I think the cellphone holsters could be made better to where I might not mind waring one.
Old July 18, 2014, 12:05 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Ankle holster would be a good choice.
Old July 18, 2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Ruger480

Quote:
Add a light sport coat
I had thought about this and it would work during the spring and fall but in summer, that's not happening. I'm a consulting arborist which means I'll be outside looking at clients trees. It get's hot enough in just that attire, let alone adding more clothes. But thanks though.

I like the looks of that smartcarry setup. I'll have to look further into those. If that doesn't work, I may be looking for a small 357 for pocket carry. I really would like to stick with 10mm if I can though. Besides EAA, who else makes a CCW 10mm?
Old July 18, 2014, 12:15 PM   #9
MtnCreek

IMHO, you will likely be more comfortable and less noticed with a thin, light auto like the lcp mentioned above. For me, a revolver is fine carried in a coat or jacket pocket, but not so much in pants pockets. Unless you're a very large man, I don't see you comfortably carrying a 10mm in your pocket.
Old July 18, 2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Ruger480

Quote:
Unless you're a very large man
I'm 6'2, 270. I have a long torso and have to buy XLT shirts to keep them tucked in. They're not cheap, around 75 bucks a shirt so a wardrobe change isn't going to happen quickly.

I think I may have to go the route of a new, smaller CCW.
Old July 18, 2014, 01:04 PM   #11
BarryLee

Quote:
I'm a consulting arborist which means I'll be outside looking at clients trees.
Obviously you have to determine what appropriate dress is, but have you considered stylish shirts which are designed to be worn un-tucked. There are various options and you could even have them embroidered with a company logo or something similar for a more professional appearance.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 18, 2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I think I may have to go the route of a new, smaller CCW.
I am far from a CCW expert and know very little about the nuances of successful concealed carry, but just looking at that picture, and given the fact that you are often on other people's property (on your own, you can at least say "I carry, live with it...!"), I'd say a new dedicated carry piece for work is your best bet.

Having said that you could buy about 5-6 shirts for the price of a new gun, provided you are sure that you can get those shirts and a full-size to work for you in that set up.

Out of curiosity, if you have already been carrying the Witness, how did you manage before?
Old July 18, 2014, 02:26 PM   #13
Ruger480

Quote:
Out of curiosity, if you have already been carrying the Witness, how did you manage before?
I didn't have to manage. I recently started this job and now go out of town quite a bit. With my old job it was never an issue since I worked on a crew.
I don't usually tuck in my shirts when I'm not at work.

Last edited by Ruger480; July 18, 2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old July 18, 2014, 02:31 PM   #14
spacemanspiff

I may not be as svelte as the OP but when I need to carry under a tucked in shirt, the High Noon tuckable iwb holster has worked well for me.
Conceals a full size 1911.
Old July 18, 2014, 03:09 PM   #15
Gary L. Griffiths

Check out a Remora holster. My Springfield XDs just disappears under a tucked shirt, and no belt clip to give it away. You'll have to leave your shirt a bit looser (I raise my arms up and shrug my shoulders) before slipping the holster into your waistband.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old July 18, 2014, 03:20 PM   #16
Corrections Cop

Lately I have been experimenting with a belly band holster and my G26. That setup seems to work well, and you could also tuck in the shirt if you needed too. But the belly band seems to be for subcompacts, I don't know if I would or could put my full size Sig in it.
Old July 18, 2014, 08:18 PM   #17
bipe215

The High Noon Split Decision is what I use. Tuckable with a dress shirt and black belt.

Steve
Old July 18, 2014, 08:46 PM   #18
kilimanjaro

Cargo pant with leg pouch pockets. Maybe Carhart or Filson, tough work trousers, good looking.
Old July 18, 2014, 09:43 PM   #19
Joe_Pike

S&W 642 + Mika Pocket Holster + Pocket = Your Answer.

Just sayin'.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:17 PM   #20
Jay24bal

When I need to be in "business casual" or above dress, I opt for an LCP in an ankle holster.

I tried to wear a tuckable holster or an IWB and then tuck the shirt in around the clips, but nothing really worked (well, the IWB worked, but the clips were showing).

It may not be the answer you want to hear, but I also vote for carrying a smaller gun in a pocket or on the ankle.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 19, 2014, 10:36 AM   #21
Glockstar .40

For deep concealment while wearing a button up shirt I have found that the 5.11 compression holster shirts work outstanding! You'll have to sacrifice a little slower draw time but for the concealment you get its worth a look. Also saw someone recommend a Remora. That's another good option
Old July 19, 2014, 11:36 AM   #22
TailGator

The three words in the OP that are game changers are "full size Witness." I don't see that working with ankle or pocket carry at all, and maybe not with a tuckable holster. It looks to me like OP has an excellent excuse to go shopping for a new pistol. LCP has been mentioned, and is very popular, but when my wife went to look at an LCP she came home with a Sig P238. Very nice pistol that shoots way better than a lot of pistols of similar size. With something that size, lots of concealment options open up.
Old July 19, 2014, 04:29 PM   #23
larryh1108

An LCP, Kahr PM9 or even a Glock 26 or 27 with a wallet holster.
The wallet holsters look like a wallet and (except when driving) easy to get to.

http://www.pocketholsters.com/

Here's my setup. Feels like a wallet. You forget it's there.

Old July 19, 2014, 05:37 PM   #24
indie_rocker

I used the 5.11 compression holster shirts while doing some landscaping with a friend's company last summer. They work pretty well and I was able to comfortably carry an SD9VE. Concealment was great under a tucked in t-shirt, I don't think the other crew members even knew I was carrying.
Old July 19, 2014, 06:13 PM   #25
Microgunner

Sneaky Pete holsters for small handguns might be a solution.