The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 7, 2012, 11:10 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Gun Sales Surge: S&W up 48%

S&W sales are up 48% from the second quarter last year. Link I know Ruger also had record sales and announced a dividend of over $4 a share. Who says the current administration isn't pushing the economy? (OK, so it's not the type of thing they want to push). I'm glad these American based firms are doing well for themselves. More guns the better.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:34 PM   #2
David13

Yes. I think Colt also is going to double their output this year, from just a year or two ago.
dc
Old December 7, 2012, 11:56 PM   #3
FoghornLeghorn

Not going to last apparantly.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...n-wall-street/

Quote:
The recent run-up echoes a jump in gun stocks after the 2008 election on jitters surrounding tighter gun control. But the latest rally appears to be over.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:45 PM   #4
DaleA

Perhaps part of the 'problem' from the business folks point of view is that guns last a long, long time.

When folks in the general public, not the gun aficionados, think they need a gun and then they buy a gun, then they’ve GOT the gun and they don’t buy more. (You see they’re not like US here at TFL at all.) In the general public there might not be a lot of repeat business and the market may become saturated.

On the other hand, maybe lots of folk will start shooting, find out what a great sport/recreational activity it can be and buy more guns. Although even if this happens I wonder if there isn't some kind of 'saturation' point.

Also with the current boom in sales, and good profits maybe the gun makers invest in themselves and come out with even more and different guns or even go back and make some popular reproduction guns. Certainly Ruger and S&W to name a couple have been pretty innovative over the last few years.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:34 PM   #5
Crankgrinder

This does not surprise me, obama gets re-inaugurated in jan. Things are quiet till then and people are still flipping over this guy. Noticed the gun bar busier than usual at accademy the other day. one guy filling out the forms and twelve more all around him, six more at the other end also. Very crowded though in groups like this usually about two people will hand over the money that day, the rest just lookyloos. Still crowded nonetheless.
Old December 9, 2012, 01:54 PM   #6
TheNatureBoy

I think the POTUS is good for the gun business. I know there is a lot of concern about our gun rights and attempts to take them away but last time I checked...... Guns flying off the shelf is a good thing.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; December 9, 2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Not if it stays on point...
Old December 9, 2012, 07:05 PM   #7
leadchucker

As far as S&W, they've currently got a product that they can't make enough of to satisfy demand.

Tried to buy a Shield lately?
Old December 10, 2012, 01:41 AM   #8
LockedBreech

^ I generally have good luck checking out harder-to-find guns. Just the other day, my LGS had multiple Ruger SR1911s, Remington 1911R1s, and some of the harder-to-find Sig Sauer variants like the P938 and P238 SAS.

I still have never even SEEN a shield. They had one in the blue cardboard box for a customer, but it wasn't mine so I couldn't paw it.