The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 18, 2013, 06:12 PM   #26
MLeake

Without meaning to start an off-topic, religious thread.... isn't it ironic that people who claim to follow a certain figure seem to forget that their guide chose not to spend time with prominent citizens, but instead with lepers, outcasts, and a prostitute?

There may be more virtue in those of low status, than in those of higher status who cast aspersions at those perceived as socially inferior. Similarly, superior and snide can be funny, but don't necessarily speak well for those who manifest such.

End of rant.
Old February 18, 2013, 07:52 PM   #27
CowTowner

MLeake, as rants go, not bad at all. Straight to the point with just the correct amount verbiage IMHO.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old February 21, 2013, 07:03 AM   #28
dean1818

$1999 for AR15s that sold for $800 before the crazyness........

I will remember

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old February 21, 2013, 07:23 AM   #29
zincwarrior

Remember what? That they charged what the market will bear? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Thats free enterprise.
Old February 21, 2013, 07:34 AM   #30
Tickling

Quote:
$1999 for AR15s that sold for $800 before the crazyness........
Yay Capitalism.
Old February 21, 2013, 12:46 PM   #31
JimDandy

Quote:
Remember what? That they charged what the market will bear? If you don't like it, don't buy it. Thats free enterprise.
I'm mostly on your side. I'm not sure why people think CTD should have sold out of 30 round PMags in 6 hours for half of what some LGS marked theirs up to out of some money losing principle.

On the flip side, I'm not impressed with their take a stand statement. It holds about as much weight and as much water as me saying I refuse to be drafted by the Army of the People's Republic of China.

And on the third hand I am impressed at their donation to the SAF.

They aren't cheaper than dirt, when you tack on 6 different shipping charges from four different warehouses, it's not a savings over a LGS or Midway etc. But I'm not going to shake my tallywhacker at them in protest or anything.
Old March 2, 2013, 04:26 PM   #32
JimDandy

Another less than impressive email from Cheaper Than Dirt.

http://go.emaildir2.com/l/a/dhi/bd/7...0b/trouble.htm

Tells you about them partnering up for a NRA membership drive and added benefits, of $5 to $700. only problem is, they're implying they're contributing to this somehow and providing benefits from them. The only thing I see is the same $300 lifetime memberhship discussed on twitter, Vortex, Glock talk, and oodles of other places that show up on a Google search.
Old March 2, 2013, 05:21 PM   #33
wogpotter

Quote:
While I 100% agree with this, I do have a problem with the "dont ship to states where we might/may have a problem" policy they invoked/cancelled when it didn't work well for them.
Turncoats can turn a coat more than once because the first is always the hardest.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 4, 2013, 01:59 PM   #34
johnwilliamson062

I like how more people in this thread seem to notice these gestures are empty b/c it is CTD. Bring it up in relation to all the other companies who probably make minimal sales to law enforcement and everyone gets butt-hurt.

I have made a few orders from CTD in the past. One was delivered without complications. I could care less if they have proven themselves capable of "separating a fool from his money." I do the same every chance I get. My bet is most of you do also.
Old March 4, 2013, 03:27 PM   #35
JimDandy

Actually I've said the same thing about the others. The only one I said "Wow" to was Wilson Combat that actually mentioned cancelling a govt. contract. I'll say "wow" again if Beretta, and/or Magpul actually move.
Old March 4, 2013, 09:08 PM   #36
MLeake

Bravo Company cancelled a rifle contract with Milwaukee PD, due to Flynn's antics.
Old March 4, 2013, 10:07 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

Barett, Wilson Combat, Bravo Company, and who else is actually giving up sales?

Since CTD sells magazines, holsters, and other accessories, I wouldn't be surprised if a few small departments are buying from them.
Old March 5, 2013, 07:20 AM   #38
MLeake

MAGPUL is threatening (and preparing) to move their entire operation from Colorado, if the current gun control bills pass. That's pricey.

LWRC is threatening, just like Beretta is, to move from Maryland.
Old March 5, 2013, 08:34 AM   #39
Willie Sutton

Mkidway just donated a $million to the NRA-ILA, on top of the "round up" funds of over a $mil this year donated to NRA-ILA.

CTD "refuses to sell now to customers they never sold to before".

Color me a supporter of Midway.

Color me.... unimpressed with CTD.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; March 5, 2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:03 AM   #40
longlane

So...to summarize...

Folks are mad that a company makes money following the basic principles of capitalism.
Folks are mad that the same company is spending some of that money to protect both your rights and their own.
Folks are also mad that the same company that they're not forced to buy from is now taking a stand to protect your rights and their own.
Folks are mad that this company is doing so publicly in a way that will be sure to get some amount of press coverage and could garner the very sort of attention most needed to protect your rights and their own.

Wow.

What sort of behavior needs boycotting now?

The starving (in this case gun owners) need friends with food (in this case sympathetic and supportive vocal public backers). Keep it up folks. Our 2A rights will keep slipping away before our eyes. In-fighting is the surest tool of our opposition.
Old March 5, 2013, 09:07 AM   #41
donkee

CTD are crooks. I sent them an email letting them know that I would never deal with them again. I would pay 20x more at the competetion.

That was 5 years ago and I am still sticking to my pledge.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:21 AM   #42
JimDandy

Quote:
Bravo Company cancelled a rifle contract with Milwaukee PD, due to Flynn's antics.
You're right, I meant Bravo Company, not Wilson.

Quote:
Folks are mad that a company makes money following the basic principles of capitalism.
I've bought from them in the past. I'd be willing but unlikely to buy from them again. Their shipping practices makes them rarely the cheapest vendor.

The sole extent of my feelings on CTD and their announcement is a lack of wow factor given the ambiguous nature of their self imposed restriction. I'd be equally unimpressed if Boeing announced they wouldn't be shipping any nuclear platform bombers to Korea.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:06 PM   #43
TATER

Longlane, With all due respect,
It is called price-gouging.
It is not a good business model to practice.
It is taking advantage of people.
It has cost them customers.
And as for the latest move, Good for them, I always like a little reach-around at the end.
Old March 5, 2013, 01:12 PM   #44
JimDandy

Quote:
It is called price-gouging.
Price-gouging is somewhat subjective, and not really germane to how impressive their recent press release may or may not be. Let's focus on whether we believe their recent stance is good, bad, or pandering without real benefit or cost to them.
Old March 5, 2013, 05:47 PM   #45
Tom Servo
Staff

This is a subforum for discussing law and civil-rights issues. Hence the header "Law and Civil Rights."

If you wish to complain about a vendor's prices or policies, take it to another subforum.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:08 PM   #46
JimDandy

Colt just got into the act. They can't refuse to finish their contracts, I suppose, but they did close down the factory and bus any employee that wanted to go to the Capitol in CT, to demonstrate.