The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 1, 2007, 12:16 PM   #1
FM12

Polishing the scratches in a stainless slide

What's the best way to polish the scratches out of a stainless slide and frame? Got an Officers Model with, of course, the idiots scratch at the slide stop pin. I was given some sandpaper by a jeweler friend that is designed for titanium, he said, but dont want to do more harm than good...suggestions, especially no-nos?
Old June 1, 2007, 02:56 PM   #2
HSMITH

Lay the paper on a sheet of glass, oil it, and move the slide back and forth on it LENGTHWISE, before you lift the slide off you need to slide it STRAIGHT off the paper completely before lifting. 320 grit is about right to duplicate a factory finish.
Old June 1, 2007, 03:52 PM   #3
Tom2

IF it is matte finish, you will just have to have the area re- bead blasted. If is is brushed or polished stainless, on light scratches, start with the least first. That would be Flitz polish or equivalent. Of course polish in line with the brush strokes on brushed, and if that looks good, stop there, as when you start removing metal you don't know how it will end up sometimes. Go easy with more aggresive methods.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:28 PM   #4
FM12

It'sd the standard polished flat sides, matte on the rounded top of the slide...thought I might use some semichrome and a tshirt with increasing pressure. The sandpaper (420 & 500 grit) seems a little drastic...although my friend says he can buff out any residual makrs on his polishing wheel. Maybe I could use my Dremel tool with the variable speed on low. Still,, have had trouble with it "getting away" from me at times, causing more damage than necessary.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:39 PM   #5
Jim Watson

HSMITH is right. It takes great skill with a rotary device of any sort to polish a flat surface. A Dremel usually just makes a wavy mess. Even flat polishing, a soft backer like cloth will round over the edges. Real polish like Simichrome is too fine, it will not take out the scratch and will leave the surface shinier than new.
Old June 1, 2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Wildalaska

What HSMITH said, but I say 400 grit

WildpolishmynevermindAlaska
Old June 3, 2007, 01:04 PM   #7
FM12

Thanks, may just let my jeweler do the whole job.