The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 14, 2006, 01:23 PM   #1
Squiggy

Milt Sparks: #1 Heritage or Versa Max II

What do you people think? Would you get a #1 Heritage or a VMII for a HK USP40f? I like the smoothness of the inside and the waterproof barrier of the Heritage, but I also like the replaceable belt loops and slightly slimmer profile of the VMII. I'm leaning towards the Heritage but the VMII is a better seller. Whatcha think?
Old April 14, 2006, 02:39 PM   #2
familyman357

Milt Sparks rocks. I've never had a Heritage, but I've had a number of VM2's for different pistols and have been really happy with all of them. I never tried a VM2 with a pistol as large as a USP40. The largest I ever got a VM2 for was a Glock 23, but it was a very secure, comfortable setup. I really liked the spaced belt loops of the VM2.
FWIW, I sweat... a lot. And I never had a problem with the VM2.

Considering how heavy the butt of the USP40 is (13+1), I wonder if the spaced belt loops of the VM2 might do a better job of keeping the holster from shifting around.

Ultimately, get whichever appeals to you the most. Both holsters have good reputations for working well and the Milt Sparks quality is first rate. Holster selection is as personal was weapon selection. Get whichever one you think that YOU will be happy with.
Old April 16, 2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Squiggy

Milt Sparks: #1 Heritage vs. Versa Max II

Anyone else with an opinion?
Old April 16, 2006, 12:07 PM   #4
bulbboy

I don't think you can go wrong with either. I have the VM2 and love it. Sparks and K & D Holsters make excellent IWB holsters.

www.kdholsters.com
www.miltsparks.com
Old April 16, 2006, 09:05 PM   #5
kart racer

hbe leather

For another option on a very similar style holster take a look at HBE.I have 3 of his holsters and a belt and they're all first class.
Old April 25, 2006, 04:16 PM   #6
TheEgg

Well, I have a number of VMII's and I have 2 of the #1 Heritage holsters. I can't give you a definitive answer, as holsters are so personal. But here are some observations from someone with both. Hope this helps some.

I go back and forth between them as to which I like better. The VMII is definitely the most stable -- it spreads the weight out along the belt and there is little to no movement of the gun.

The Heritage will allow the gun to move around a little as you sit down, get up, etc. -- not to the point that it is out of control or anything, but it does allow a little movement - some people (me included) think this makes them a little more comfortable when you are going to be sitting for extended periods of time, like in a car for a long trip.

The Heritage has the water barrier, but the VMII is made with horsehide on the inside -- neither one has ever sweated through on me (I live in Texas and sweat profusely in the hot months.)

The Heritage stacks the loops on top of the holstered gun, so the whole package is thicker than the VMII. The VMII spreads out a long away fore to aft on your belt -- takes up a lot of real-estate.

Both have top notch construction and will last for many years.

Either one will be excellent at concealing large pistols.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I would probably tell you to go with the VMII. It seems to please more people, so statistically you might be more likely to be happy.

The attachment, if it works, is of a SIG 229 SAS in a Heritage cordovan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 229wh2.jpg (36.3 KB, 95 views)