The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2001, 04:18 PM   #1
Frenchy

I just finished a trade with a young man out in Vancouver WA.
I had a Ithaca 37 Ultra-Featherlight 20ga. Special Edition that I had ordered and had waited for, for 4 months to arrive. When it finally got here, I was disappointed.
Don't get me wrong. The beauty and the quality of the 37 is unequaled, in my opinion, but it didn't do what I had expected it to do, which was to replace my beloved Remington model 17. You see, the 17 has been in my family since 1929. I am the third generation son to own it. My intention was to retire the old girl from further abuse in the field.
the Ithaca didn't feel as nice or point as instinctively as my old gun, so I decided to sell or trade it.
The fella in Washington ask if I would be interested in 2 Winchester Model 59's?
If your not familiar with the 59, it's because there's not too many around.
It's a 12ga. semi-auto with aluminum receiver and fiberglass/steel barrel. This keeps the weight to a very light 6 pounds. the guns were only made for 5 years in the early 60's, with a total production of about 82,000 units. this model also laid claim to the first "screw-in" choke system as we know it today. the model's with the choke's are somewhat rare, and I got one! The other is a fixed (full) choke with 28" barrel. The multi choked gun has a 26" barrel.
They both have walnut stocks with checkering on both the stock and fore end. the receiver's are engraved.
All in all, I'm quite happy with the trade. Both should make fine additions to my "Upland" arsenal.
Old April 24, 2001, 11:35 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Model 59 owners I know are enthusiastic about them, And I hear few complaints. I know they're popular in Grouse country, especially the Winchoke models. IMO, you made out fine...
Old April 24, 2001, 12:36 PM   #3
Frenchy

Thanks Dave! I respect your opinion.
Old April 24, 2001, 12:48 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome.

IMO, 6 lb shotguns are 16 ga or less. I'd see how that thing patterns a trap load of 7 1/2s, find a high brass load of 6s, and keep them for upland work. Enjoy...
Old April 24, 2001, 01:02 PM   #5
Frenchy

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll give it a try.