The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 5, 2007, 03:58 PM   #1
scouter27

leupold std 1 piece as scout mount?

would it be possible to get this to work out? i really like the stability and function of these mounts/rings. i also already have it, so i may try anway. the problem as i see it is that its machined to fit the reciever, and the barrel, where it would be moved to is much smaller in diameter. anyone know if it can be made to work? thanks
Old June 5, 2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Scorch

What kind of rifle? Are you talking about a Leupold 1-piece gunsmith base? Are you referring toa Steyr Scout rifle? More info, please.

If you are referring to mounting a Leupold base on the barrel of an anonymous rifle, the Leupold gunsmith bases are a good option, but they have to be fitted to the contour of the barrel, then the barrel has to be drilled and tapped.
Old June 5, 2007, 07:38 PM   #3
scouter27

sorry, i forgot to add all of that. i was refering to the leupold one piece standard base. the one with a dovetail on one side and windage adjustable screws on the other. its mounted on my rem 700 mnt short action right now, and i was planning on keeping it on that rifle, just moving it foreward. thanks
Old June 6, 2007, 12:21 AM   #4
Scorch

Someone migh actually make a scout mount for the Rem 700. Check at Brownells.

You cannot just move your current mount forward.
Old June 6, 2007, 12:32 AM   #5
ugaarguy

A potentially easier solution would be to trade your current Remington 700 for either a Ruger M77MKII Frontier or a Savage Model 10 FCM Scout. Both of these are already set up with scout style mounts from the factory, and have some shortening and weight reduction done as well in keeping with the scout rifle concept.
Old June 6, 2007, 04:41 PM   #6
scouter27

thats what i wanted to know, thanks scorch. brownells has one, its less than i expected, thanks for that too. i am aware of the available scout like rifles. i am considering the frontier, the only thing stopping me is its lack of back up sights. i guess it would be easy to fix that