The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 12, 2014, 02:23 PM   #1
Mystro

Kimber Montana 308 and Leupold VX6 Range Report & Review...Outstanding!

I want to first report the conditions of the range today in Central Pa. HORRIBLE 30 degrees with 15-25 mph winds with gust over 30 mph. I was the only guy out there other than a truck that stopped briefly and left. Thats the only bad I can report. The Kimber Montana 308 with its Leupold VX6 3x9 Firedot made me look like a hero in those crappy conditions.

My first shot after only visually bore sighting the gun in at 50 yards was this.......

I have never been so lucky with a new gun and scope mounting to be that close to a perfect bull with its first shot.

I then adjusted the scope up and walked out to 100 yards through the wind. I couldnt even keep my hat on and had to staple the target down many places. With the target fluttering violently, I walked back to shoot its next 2nd 3rd and 4th shots while cleaning the barrel after every shot.

Lightning struck again. I managed to get 1/2" moa under the worst range conditions I have shot with a new gun. A contributing factor to this was the very mild recoil of this 6lbs rig and a trigger to die for. I was expecting more recoil but found it much less than a sportster weight in 270Winchester. Geometry of the rifle and stock construction also must help with the recoil for such a light setup because I could have shot all day. The claw extractor was just like my Winchester. Very smooth extraction and depending on the speed of the extraction, the empty case will slowly and deliberately lift out of the gun or if you rack the bolt back quickly, it will flip the case out way out of your way. The bolt also took bullets out of the blind magazine smoothly. It didn't seem to matter if I fed the gun each bullet as I shot or loaded the magazine up 4 +1 and had it strip each bullet and seat it into the chamber. The safty is also the typical 3 position "wing" safty common on the Winchester M70. For such a light weight gun, it still had a quality feel with safty clicking very deliberately and precisely as well as the bolt release button. All had a very silk high quality feel. Tolerances on the gun were tight and the fit and finish is perfect. The kevlar/carbon fiber stock puts to shame any of the synthetic stocks either factory or after market stocks I have ever owned or handled. Its a shame to even put it in a synthetic stock catagory because its in its own league. The Pachmayr recoil pad fit tight and looks like it was built into the stock with no lips or gaps. I really couldn't find anything on this gun I would have improved upon. It feels like a full blown custom rifle.

The first ammo of choice was Federal Fusion 165 grain. This gun will stack these bullets under better conditions. I then switch ammo to Winchester Power Points in 150 grain. They produced 1' groups about 3" higher but still excellent given the wind. I then tried Federal Fusion in 150 grain. They printed sub 1" moa but 2" lower than the Fusion in 165. I would bet both 150 and 165 will be under 1/4" moa with better conditions and the Winchester PP has a 1/2" MOA in them. All three loads were excellent for hunting and would be outstanding in no wind. I like the 165 grain Fusion. I could see they handled the wind a bit better and will be a great do-it-all round.

Finally after all my test shooting I wanted to see how 3 quick shots would group not allowing the barrel to cool down and without any cleaning between shots. I made 3 shots as fast as I could shoot them. I am guessing 9-12 seconds for all three shots. Once again the end results were outstanding and the Kimber Montana didnt seem to care if the barrel was cold or warm. Given the windy conditions, I am more than impressed with the accuracy. The gun seems to shoot sub 1" moa with anything you feed it. Trigger pull was perfect. I shot with and without gloves and the trigger break was spot on with no creep.

To say I am ecstatic with the performance of this set-up is a under statement. Its not a hard gun to shoot and seems to want to shoot anything you feed it. I am soooo looking forward to another day at the range on a calm day. I tried to save all my targets but a few blew away and I wasnt gonna catch them but the ones I did save gives you a good idea of the day.

It was a great day at the range despite the wind and icy conditions. I am always a little apprehensive with a new rifle and scope. You never know what their accuracy will be. I am very picky with accuracy and my expectations were surpassed. This will be my goto rifle. It likes me and I like it. Time for lunch and a beer.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"

Last edited by Mystro; January 12, 2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:35 PM   #2
TMW89

Beautiful gun, great shooting!
1942 Mosin Nagant "Natalia"
Old January 12, 2014, 06:50 PM   #3
Kimber84

[QUOTE=Mystro;5738907] It didn't seem to matter if I fed the gun each bullet as I shot or loaded the magazine up 4 +1 and had it strip each bullet and seat it into the chamber.

Hopefully you're not referring to dropping a round in the chamber then closing the bolt behind it. If you are, then don't do it anymore. Worst thing you can do to a CRF. They are meant to be mag fed only, the extractor isn't meant to snap around the shell casing.

Aside from that, those are some great groups, should only get better.
Old January 12, 2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Mystro

Kimber84 has brought up a important fact with CRT or "claw extractor type bolts". That's a good point for those who do not know......

No, I mean it stripping off one round from the magazine or a full packed magazine equally well.

Thanks guys, I'll try to get out on Friday if the conditions are better and I didn't get a cold from today.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old January 12, 2014, 11:19 PM   #5
globemaster3

Finally a range report after the extended 1" vs 30mm discussion!

What a surprise on the recoil level! For a 6 pound rifle, I was expecting more in that department. Goes to show the impact stock design and pad have on felt recoil.

Great results! Now let us know what she does on a good day!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old January 12, 2014, 11:56 PM   #6
reynolds357

Some control feed are made to be closed on rounds in the chamber. Some are front beveled to do it, some are not.