The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2007, 11:42 AM   #1
fisherman66

Bird of prey vs. deer

http://www.break.com/index/catching-...th-a-bird.html
Old July 3, 2007, 11:58 AM   #2
sigfreak

and people just think they hurt the rabbit population.it was a cool video though.i'm sure they do a number on the fawns.
Old July 3, 2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Capp35

It looks like he had his hawk attack a fawn. If so I think it is pretty crappy.

Last edited by Capp35; July 5, 2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old July 3, 2007, 01:12 PM   #4
Scorch

That "hawk" is a Golden Eagle. They prey on deer in the wild, too. And the "fawn" looks full-grown (no spots at least). Cool video.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:14 PM   #5
Capp35

Maybe so, but I know during deer season, if I brought one in that small I'd loose my lease.
At least in my part of the country, that size would be about a 5-6 month old deer.
Old July 3, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
fisherman66

I believe it's a Roe Deer.
Old July 3, 2007, 11:21 PM   #7
Fat White Boy

Yeah, I'd say golden eagle, too. I was chukar hunting up in Nevada a few years ago. I thought I saw a small bear on the side of a hill. It was an adult golden eagle. Huge sonuvagun. I see now how they can carry off lambs and goats. It looked like it had the cargo capacity of a small airliner.
Old July 4, 2007, 08:42 AM   #8
jbadams66

Its amazing how fast people try and condem what others do without even knowing the facts.

Dont be so fast to judge.
Old July 4, 2007, 08:51 AM   #9
fisherman66

Quote:
Its amazing how fast people try and condem what others do without even knowing the facts.
I believe this video was shot in the middle east (Turkey maybe). They have been using predatory birds in this fashion for a very long time. Odd what some people find offensive. This strikes me as very fair chase. Think of the discipline it takes to train a golden eagle; to mold nature to pit itself against it's own wildness. I find this much more elegant than propping a rifle out of a windowed outhouse.
Old July 4, 2007, 10:34 AM   #10
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ever seen a hawk strike a bird? They close their claws into fists, and strike with both together. Breaks bones.

The bug'n'bunny biologists say that a big eagle can lift not much over four pounds.

Art
Old July 4, 2007, 11:09 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

agree with fish66... but that ain't no full sized deer (whitetail, anyhow). I'm sure those birds are strong, but adult deer are VERY strong, and aren't going to be taken down by ANY bird.
Old July 4, 2007, 11:15 PM   #12
stinger

FirstFreedom,

They must not have the flying Chupacabra where you live.

Old July 5, 2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Capp35

What I took offense to, was that I had considered it to be a fawn.

I have no problems with legal hunting. Just dishonest hunters.
Old July 5, 2007, 11:29 AM   #14
PTR 91

That was cool!!! I have never seen anything like that before.
Old July 5, 2007, 06:56 PM   #15
taralon

I'm fairly certain (85-90% so) that the bird of prey is a golden eagle, and that that hunt is taking place either in Mongolia or possibly Kyrgyzstan on the smaller gazelle type ruminants they have there. The mongolian gazelle is fairly small. Being around 50-70lbs live weight.

Then again, a lot of the deer that are shot down in Alabama/Lousiana way I'd call 'fawns' myself. I've seen average 'live' weights for Alabama deer in overpopulated areas that fall into the 65-70lb category for a 3 year old deer. Compare that to Colorado and Wyoming where an 'average' white tail comes in at 150-175lbs.

So be rather careful when disparaging the possible 'size' of that animal, as it probably isn't all that much smaller than a lot of the deer that get harvested in the southern US.

And as for 'full grown deer' not being able to be taken down by a bird... Well I've seen a golden eagle do a full out strike on a lamed mulie doe (broken foreleg, was waiting for the game warden to show up), and I can tell you for a fact that given a deer that ain't moving and a hungry enough eagle, you get a dead deer.
Old July 5, 2007, 07:35 PM   #16
FirstFreedom

In all honesty, although I certaintly don't TRY for fawns, and have never killed one, I do not consider killing a fawn to be unethical or off-limits necessarily...

To me, the deer you DO try to cull/take are:

-Big Bucks (trophy)
-Big Mature fawn-less does near the end of their breeding lives
-Cull Bucks (one antler or deformed antlers)

What you DON'T kill are:
-Small Bucks or Medium sized Bucks
-Does with Fawn(s) - the fawns need momma to help them survive, and that doe with fawns is a proven fertile breeder.
-Young does without fawns but which are of fawn-bearing age and are old enough to fight off coyotes.

In the gray area between the two Do's and Don'ts are fawns themselves. Since they might not live to child rearing age (if a doe) anyway, due to coyotes, pigs, bobcats, etc., then it's not so bad taking one, and they are in fact good meat animals to take.
Old July 6, 2007, 08:20 AM   #17
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

One's ethics and morals are in part a function of what you learn when growing up, inculcated by your parents and peers; and in part what you learn later on.

Americans seem to be more judgemental than folks from other countries, though we're not completely alone in this. You can see it in this forum on certain subjects; hunting deer with dogs is one. Those who grow up with it see it as natural; others go into hysterics against it because it's foreign to them. I've travelled a lot through some twenty countries, and I learned early on that, "When in Rome, do as Romans do," is a good way to avoid trouble. The obvious alternative is don't go to Rome...

One thing to remember is that when hunting with a raptor, the raptor will make the final decision of whether or not to strike. Whether the target animal is the fawn of a larger species or a mature animal of a smaller species is beside the point; it's not really something for us to judge, I think: It's the bird's choice.

Art
Old July 6, 2007, 04:49 PM   #18
SpookBoy

Very cool I've never seen a bird do that either can he pick up small children?

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old July 6, 2007, 05:38 PM   #19
FirstFreedom

I'm quite sure than many a homo sapiens baby has become eagle food over the millenia, if mom is not guarding closely.

On killing cute little animals....anyone seen the scene in "Cold Mountain" when the lead character is on his journey and comes across the old lady who cares for him? She is self-sufficient with her many cute little goats... The line is something like, "Good for milk, companionship, and sometimes, meat", while she caresses one goat in her arms, while slicing its jugular. Then they flash forward to later on and they are both eating goat's meat at dinner. Now that's different because it's survival, whereas we don't need to kill any animal to survive, let alone a fawn, but it just shows Art's point, that morals and standards which are perhaps repugnant to some are quite standard and acceptable to other cultures and subcultures, in our time and times past.
Old July 6, 2007, 05:49 PM   #20
fisherman66

Quote:
whereas we don't need to kill any animal to survive
I ain't planning on eatin' tofu fer protein. Or do you mean we have the ability to get someone else to do the killin for us? Ever read The Jungle?
Old July 6, 2007, 05:54 PM   #21
MDman

Awesome, now im afraid of big birds...
Old July 6, 2007, 06:06 PM   #22
Jason_G

Quote:
I believe it's a Roe Deer.
Yeah, I was about to say, for those that thought someone turned that thing loose on a fawn, I don't think that's a whitetail. I don't know what a Roe Deer is, but I do know there are some species that are that size full grown, I bet it's one of those, Roe or otherwise. I didn't see any spots...

Jason
Old July 7, 2007, 11:35 AM   #23
DD698

A few years ago while goose hunting a Bald Eagle dove down out of the sky and tried to pick up one of my plastic goose decoys. He got his left wing wet,let out a squack and beat feet out of there.I wish I would have had a video camera to record it
Old July 7, 2007, 12:58 PM   #24
2rugers

Birds of prey, hmmmm.

We started this spring off with 5 new India Blue Peachicks.

Over the last 4 wks. we have lost 3.

I watched them roosting in a big live oak the other nite and went out with the flashlight to see the remaining 3 trying to squeeze under mommas wings.

A couple of hours later I hear a loud screech.
Went outside only to discover two large owls at the bottom of the oak shredding chick # 3.

Birds of prey vs. a pissed off farmer who has lost $1,000 in livestock in the past weeks?... Whell, let's just say we won't lose anymore chicks.

Great video, has anyone seen the video of the Golden Eagle pulling the Bighorn Sheep lamb over the cliff edge and then feeding on the carcass?
Old July 7, 2007, 01:51 PM   #25
fisherman66

Quote:
anyone seen the video of the Golden Eagle pulling the Bighorn Sheep lamb over the cliff edge and then feeding on the carcass?