The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 1, 2010, 02:46 PM   #1
stevieboy24

Anyone know ANYTHING about this rifle??

This rifle was given to my grandfather back in the 70's. The man who gave it to him was a US ambassador and received it as a gift from the West German government (he was also given a "mauser" double barrel shotgun). The reason I'm posting is because I haven't been able to find ANYTHING about this rifle on the internet. I was always told, and under the assumption that it was a Mauser. I don't know if this is true because there are no markings on the gun that say Mauser.

The scope is a Carl Zeiss Zielvier (sn 45132). I've been able to find info on the net about the scope. I'm still waiting to hear back from Zeiss about any info they would have.

Back to the rifle...The only visible markings are "CAL. .270" on the barrel, the number "4856" next to the bolt, and "08 BJ" on the bolt. There are no other visible markings or inscriptions of any kind...which is why I'm questioning if it's actually a Mauser. The "4856" inscription appears to be hand carved. It's a beautiful rifle. All of the weapons and scope came in leather cases. The cases all have "E.L.F.A" engraved on one end. Maybe the original owner's initials...who knows? The barrel is 23.5" and from tip to butt, 45.5".

Please visit this link to view some pics I took: http://picasaweb.google.com/11647253...eat=directlink . Let me know if you need more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old October 1, 2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Rifleman1776

I can't help much.
Coming from the WG g'vment, I would expect the caliber to be stated in metric figures.
Stock looks American sporterized to me.
Old October 1, 2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Sixer

It looks kind of similar to this gun for sale at GunsInternational... at least the stock looks alot like yours...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/CUS...9760FACEFBEE8F

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old October 1, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

It's a sporterized/customized Mauser. Which model.... I can't tell.
Old October 1, 2010, 03:31 PM   #5
d4xycrq

Stevie,

I would treasure that rifle.

The only experience I can offer is based on living in Germany 1989-1991. American calibers were offered and quite common - and seeing where the rifle was a gift to someone returning to the US, it comes as no surprise that its a .270. The principal marking for your rifle has been covered up by the front scope mount base. If I were you, I wouldn't obsess over what it is - just know that it's a fine rifle. A good gunsmith can confirm the rifle is indeed .270 Winchester. Once that is known, get some ammo and see how it shoots.

Best regards,

Ray
Old October 1, 2010, 03:51 PM   #6
radom

That is one nice custom mauser. I would guess it was built off a military K-98 action as it does have the striper cut in the receiver
Old October 1, 2010, 04:56 PM   #7
mete

Radom , there were some civilian Mausers that originally were made with the cutout !
If you can't get answers here then there are some very knowledgeable people on www.accuratereloading.com
In any case it's a very fine rifle , valuable and you should take very good care of it !
Old October 1, 2010, 05:10 PM   #8
WeaponsWorld

It could have started as a 7.9mm then was re-barreled to the more common .270, which would explain the lack of information on the barrel. Maybe this can lead to some answers. http://www.pbase.com/roamer8/mauser
Old October 1, 2010, 05:34 PM   #9
DnPRK

Large ring Mauser 98 that has been customized. The thumb cut makes it a former military receiver.
Old October 1, 2010, 05:39 PM   #10
Bud Helms

Let's take this to Harley Nolden's Institute for Firearms Research ...
Old October 1, 2010, 07:03 PM   #11
Scorch

That is one seriously beautiful Mauser 98.

OK, obviously it is a custom rifle, built on a Mauser 98 action, possibly military in origin. I say possibly because even civilain Mausers made before WW2 had thumb notches (stripper clips were the "speed loaders" of that time). The magazine is what points to a military rifle, with the lever installed to open the floorplate rather than a plunger button. Heat treating on wartime military actions was suspect, but not the pre-war civilian models, which could explain why the receiver and furniture were color case hardened (of course, it could be for purely decorative reasons). Engraving is typical of post-WW2 engraving, fewer oak leaves and boars, more into lines and scrolls.

The barrel has an American rather than the traditional European profile (straight/cone/straight), and is chambered for a US cartridge (not metric designation). After WW2, the US cartridges were becoming more common in Europe due to the influence of a large US Army presence in Europe, and if this was presented to an American official it would make sense.

From the stock design, I would date it from the 1960s (the Oberndorf and Bavarian "hogback" stocks were being modified because people were frequently using scopes). That looks like a pre-war or immediately post-war scope (Jena was in East Germany following the partitioning after WW2. Zeiss aus Jena was prevented from using the Zeiss trademark after a lawsuit), mounted in the common European manner (claw mount sockets in saddle mounts).

All in all, a very beautiful rifle. Value is hard to estimate. Even though it is a presentation rifle, it appears to have no engraved stock shields or other dedications, and without documentation it is just a very nice custom rifle. I wish it were mine, I would treasure it, and I would advise you to do the same.

Last edited by Scorch; October 1, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old October 1, 2010, 08:53 PM   #12
mete

The receiver notch DOES NOT GUARANTEE IT IS MILITARY !!

I found this out fairly recently . A fellow brought a Mauser into the country .The ATF came after him saying you can't bring it in as it's military .But the fellow had all the documentation including the original bill of sale - sold as a civilian rifle !!!
They may be rare but did exist !
Old October 3, 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
PetahW

I would say it's a German/Austrian custom rifle built on a commercial Mauser 98 action.

I've run across a few very similar - and FWIW, the bottom metal looks like commercial Mauser, since mlitary guard screws had smaller secondary lock screws indented into their heads to keep them from loosening.
I suppose military bottom metal could have had the auxilliary holes filled/welded/finished flush, but I don't think that happened here.

BTW - I own a .30-06 Parker Hale built on a commercial Mauser 98 action, complete with the "military" thumb notch in the left receiver wall, and integral scope mounting dovetils on top ala Ruger/Sako for PH Roll-Off rings.

Old October 3, 2010, 06:45 PM   #14
mapsjanhere

Did you take the action out of the stock before you declared "no more markings"? There should be a number of proof marks on both the receiver and the barrel, including date stamps. That would also answer the question if you have a gun original to the 270 Win caliber or something rebarreled after the war.

Tags
german , mauser , rifle , scope